Elevated Prolactin

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
Gameclay

Elevated Prolactin

Unread post by Gameclay »

Hi everyone. My main topic is in the General section but i wanted to post some findings here in the research section.

Background: Suffering from PSSD(if you could call it that) From 5-HTP.

I think that my Prolactin may have been raised by 5-HTP and that is why i have been having symptoms of low libido, watery clear ejaculate, erectile dysfunction. Heightened Prolactin has been found to be responsible for all of those symptoms. Prolactin also has an inverse relation to Dopamine levels, the higher Dopamine levels you have, the lower your prolactin would be and the higher Prolactin levels the lower your dopamine would be.

I also notice that when i have improvements in libido and erectile function, my ejaculate looks less watery and more thick and white like it used to. But not exactly the same still. Maybe these improvements happen when my Prolactin is decreased because of the supplements i take?

Here is a study that shows "Oral administration of 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP, 200 mg), a precursor of serotonin, significantly increased plasma human prolactin (hPr) levels in 18 of 21 normal subjects examined. Concomitant intravenous infusion of cyproheptadine (5 mg), a serotonin antagonist, significantly blunted the plasma hPr response to 5-HTP. These results suggest that the serotonergic mechanism is involved in the regulation of prolactin secretion in man."

https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article-a ... m=fulltext

I have only had Free and Total Testosterone checked and also my Thyroid hormones. My next plan of action is to check the rest of my reproductive hormones.

I am wondering now how many people here have high Prolactin?
buffkin14

-

Unread post by buffkin14 »

-
Last edited by buffkin14 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gameclay

Re: Elevated Prolactin

Have you tried any drugs or supplements to lower your Prolactin? i hear L-Dopa may be able to do this.

here's an interesting find.. I notice often times when i'm hungover that my sex drive and functioning is better. This medical article states that:

" TRH-induced secretion of prolactin is increased during alcohol intoxication and inhibited during hangover and withdrawal. The last finding suggests that there is dopaminergic overactivity in hypothalamus during alcohol withdrawal."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7017756
buffkin14

-

-
Gameclay

L-Dopa is in dopa mucuna.

I saw your post saying you have low testosterone, high estrogen\prolactin. Has your doctor tried to do anything for these abnormal levels? Have you seen an endocrinologist?

Also how much did those supplements help?
Bear

Unread post by Bear »

I appear to have prolactin levels on the low end of normal. 138 mIU/L (Reference: 85 - 500). However, I do have all the symptoms you mentioned. My bloods, if you want to take a look: https://imgur.com/a/zRcVo. Note the testosterone decrease over the 2-year time period between blood tests, the low-in-range FSH levels and progesterone levels near the upper limit for men.
bhasski

Unread post by bhasski »

@buffkin14
Are the improvements getting more better ? How much do you feel the extent of recovery?

Please reply.
buffkin14

-

-
bhasski

Unread post by bhasski »

Thanks for the reply. I hope that the result stays wo the amino acids.
Gameclay

Interesting. L-histidine is a precursor to histamine which is shown to increase prolactin secretion.