Some possible forum ideas

Polls.

Would you like to see parts of the site protected for members viewing only?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 14
naiverat

Re: Some possible forum ideas

Unread post by naiverat »

@Been

Sorry to hear that. Really discouraging. We are all suffering, all frustrated. But we cannot take this anger out on others, especially those in this community.

Doctors/psychiatrists are given pretty strict prescriptive guidelines, which include SSRIs as first-line treatment for anxiety/depression. All of these guidelines come from above. They have some discretion, but deviating heavily comes with potential harm and lawsuits.

There is no malicious intent, but a lot of ignorance in the medical community. Pharm companies don't know the long term effects of these drugs, nor do they care. They are a business. Month-long clinical trials establish their "safety." The medical associations use clinical trial efficacy/side effect profile information to guide medical care. I think they truly believe SSRIs are the gold standard -- best efficacy with few side effects. Doctors adhere to these standards.

Most general practice MDs have no understanding of the mechanisms/pharmacology of psychotropic substances. They really shouldn't even be allowed to prescribe them. It's a shame.
Fluoxetine Jan. '16 - Aug. 16'. Low libido, weak erections, CNS dysfunction, anhedonia

Windows on the following: Inositol, choline, NAC + Histidine, MSM, SJW, L-Arginine, Sildenafil, Naltrexone, boron
raven100

Unread post by raven100 »

been_too_long wrote:
naiverat wrote: It would be great to get more people with science backgrounds on board.

Yeah would be great but a little hard too considering some of the toxic attitudes that prevail here. Why should these people of science get onboard when constantly alienated and insulted. People claimed they wanted a doctor on here so my fiancé joined. Notice she doesn't post anymore? She got tired of constantly seeing comments that people in her profession are evil and out to knowingly hurt people. I mean seriously, what do we expect when shit like that is spouted off.

yeah.. they spend 4 years in undergrad studies, 4 years in med school, 6 more years in psychiatry residency with the single motivation running through their head the whole time.. "I cant wait till can screw some patient over with a SSRI"
Please report that kind of comment when you see it. We've been more aggressively removing them recently for that reason. It's not ideal but I think it's better for everyone that this forum doesn't become another cesspit for that kind of thing.
PSSD Since March 2016 after 4 weeks on Sertraline
Conditioned worsened and peaked in April, since then possibly seen a 20% improvement
Would be useful for data collection if people could add their histories in their signature
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

been_too_long wrote:
naiverat wrote: It would be great to get more people with science backgrounds on board.

Yeah would be great but a little hard too considering some of the toxic attitudes that prevail here. Why should these people of science get onboard when constantly alienated and insulted. People claimed they wanted a doctor on here so my fiancé joined. Notice she doesn't post anymore? She got tired of constantly seeing comments that people in her profession are evil and out to knowingly hurt people. I mean seriously, what do we expect when shit like that is spouted off.

yeah.. they spend 4 years in undergrad studies, 4 years in med school, 6 more years in psychiatry residency with the single motivation running through their head the whole time.. "I cant wait till can screw some patient over with a SSRI"
THIS. I agree with this completely. I remove the worst of the doctor bashing, but maybe increasing the rules on that would help the forum be less toxic.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Whyme11

Unread post by Whyme11 »

Let give option on forum to user whether they want or not.
If they click on protected then there data Will be protected else not.
magnilo

Unread post by magnilo »

i think hidden areas would not help in any way; to create public awareness it would certainly have a negative impact.

the fearful ones, not willing to try anything, just waiting for someone else to risk it - well, they're not going to get better.
i honestly doubt there will be a unique heal-them-all panacea; we've seen it, what works for one has deleterious effects for the other. so either you try something to hasten the process, or you just wait.
if one does not try hes basically relying on time to heal him. and it has happened! but I believe that, when reading those accounts, time is mistaken as the only factor that played a role in one getting better.
my guess is that that person has also taken major lifestyle changes.

i also dont like the fearmongering attitude some have.
i think there are some molecules where a bit of fear/respect if warranted and is even a sign of mental sanity (eg dopamine agonists). but being scared of testosterone gel or stuff like trazodone is, in my humble opinion, a sign of clinical anxiety. often i feel like discarding someones reports because i extrapolate too much weirdness/anxiety/depression from the content

a sort of self assessment section in that sense would go a long way