Calcitriol (1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3)

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
andy013

Calcitriol (1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3)

Unread post by andy013 »

Hey, I wanted to post this as an idea for something you could try and take if you a desperate and willing to risk the side effects. I would be really interested to know what happens if anyone takes this.

I have had some form of PSSD for almost 7 years now. During that time I developed another medical condition that is as of yet undiagnosed. Essentially when I take vitamin D then I can experience very pronounced effects from it. I get bone pain, thirst, kidney pain, anxiety and a bunch of other symptoms. I believe my body may be making too much of the active form of vitamin D (calcitriol). Normally vitmain D is inactive in your blood in a storage state called 25 hydroxyvitamin D, so when most people take it they don't notice any difference as their active vitamin D level stays the same.

Here's the thing though, whenever I get the bone pain and other symptoms, I also get huge improvements in all of my other symptoms from the SSRI withdrawal. It's crazy. I remember one of the first times I took vitamin D I was so hyper-sexual that my prostate and balls were aching from too much masturbating. The really interesting thing is that all my other symptoms improve as well, my energy and focus is better, my mood is better, my social function etc. It's as if the vitamin D is directly acting against the mechanism responsible for the SSRI withdrawal symptoms. It's not a total cure for me and I can't always control it but when I do get the effects it always surprising to me how much different I feel.

My thought is that if I am right that my body is making too much calcitriol then perhaps someone who doesn't have my condition would be able to experience similar effects from taking it directly. I figure if many people who have PSSD problems got a benefit from calcitriol then it would be a big clue as to what the underlying mechanism of PSSD is.

I'm not sure if it would be easy to get a hold of as I think you would need a doctor to write you a prescription and I think it's normally used for regulating blood calcium levels (nothing to do with mental health). You would also need to be really careful and take a very small amount at first because there is a possibility of getting some pretty bad side effects but maybe there is someone out there who is willing to risk it.
Ghost

Re: Calcitriol (1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3)

Unread post by Ghost »

I accidentally took like 100,000 IU of Vit. D this past fall and it pushed my functioning up for a few months. Anxiety increased as well. I don't know if it's related, but thanks for posting.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Coraggio

Unread post by Coraggio »

andy013 wrote:Hey, I wanted to post this as an idea for something you could try and take if you a desperate and willing to risk the side effects. I would be really interested to know what happens if anyone takes this.

I have had some form of PSSD for almost 7 years now. During that time I developed another medical condition that is as of yet undiagnosed. Essentially when I take vitamin D then I can experience very pronounced effects from it. I get bone pain, thirst, kidney pain, anxiety and a bunch of other symptoms. I believe my body may be making too much of the active form of vitamin D (calcitriol). Normally vitmain D is inactive in your blood in a storage state called 25 hydroxyvitamin D, so when most people take it they don't notice any difference as their active vitamin D level stays the same.

Here's the thing though, whenever I get the bone pain and other symptoms, I also get huge improvements in all of my other symptoms from the SSRI withdrawal. It's crazy. I remember one of the first times I took vitamin D I was so hyper-sexual that my prostate and balls were aching from too much masturbating. The really interesting thing is that all my other symptoms improve as well, my energy and focus is better, my mood is better, my social function etc. It's as if the vitamin D is directly acting against the mechanism responsible for the SSRI withdrawal symptoms. It's not a total cure for me and I can't always control it but when I do get the effects it always surprising to me how much different I feel.

My thought is that if I am right that my body is making too much calcitriol then perhaps someone who doesn't have my condition would be able to experience similar effects from taking it directly. I figure if many people who have PSSD problems got a benefit from calcitriol then it would be a big clue as to what the underlying mechanism of PSSD is.

I'm not sure if it would be easy to get a hold of as I think you would need a doctor to write you a prescription and I think it's normally used for regulating blood calcium levels (nothing to do with mental health). You would also need to be really careful and take a very small amount at first because there is a possibility of getting some pretty bad side effects but maybe there is someone out there who is willing to risk it.

Intersting man! how often and how much do you take vitamin D3? and how long do you see changes for? thanks
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

This has peaked my interest more after learning that all 6 of the PSSD genomes that I've analyzed have D3 receptor mutations.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Luis Fernando Lopez

Unread post by Luis Fernando Lopez »

pete wrote:so north4, i guess emotional numbness is none of your symptoms. Which is great. But since you edited the german wikipedia page (great work!!) you should know emotional numbness is another symptom of pssd. Even though i appreciate your enthusiasm, you shouldn't judge people cause of their apthy, come on relax (stress is no good for pssd). Have you ever tried vitamin d for genital numbness, helped me alot.

btw what have tcm ever done for us?
buffkin14

-

Unread post by buffkin14 »

-
Last edited by buffkin14 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luis Fernando Lopez

buffkin14 wrote:ive been taking 5000 iu of d3 for at least a month now i do not think it does anything for me
What brand are you taking?
Juvo

Unread post by Juvo »

Cutting edge: progesterone directly upregulates vitamin d receptor gene expression for efficient regulation of T cells by calcitriol.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25548222/
buffkin14

-

Unread post by buffkin14 »

-
Last edited by buffkin14 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luis Fernando Lopez

Has anyone tried taking Vit. D3 with K2?