Berberine

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
Moloch

Re: Berberine - sexdrive OP

Unread post by Moloch »

<page missing>
Moloch

Unread post by Moloch »

Area-1255 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:24 pm

celexahell wrote:
I have now obtained two bottles of 60% Icariin, two bottles of Berberine, and a bottle of L-histidine. I've taken a dose of all three thus far, obviously nothing to report yet. I plan to open a thread this week and begin documenting my experience. Thanks Area for giving us hope.
Keep us posted and do definitely make a thread!
Make sure to eat high protein meals as well!
Stay away from EGCG supplements or anti histamine supplements and drugs in the meantime.
Moloch

Unread post by Moloch »

celexahell on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:27 am

Area-1255 wrote:
celexahell wrote:
I have now obtained two bottles of 60% Icariin, two bottles of Berberine, and a bottle of L-histidine. I've taken a dose of all three thus far, obviously nothing to report yet. I plan to open a thread this week and begin documenting my experience. Thanks Area for giving us hope.
Stay away from EGCG supplements or anti histamine supplements and drugs in the meantime.

I plan to make a thread today. Stay tuned. Thanks again Area.
Moloch

Unread post by Moloch »

Area-1255 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:27 am

celexahell wrote:
Area-1255 wrote:
celexahell wrote:

Awesome, I'm staying tuned. Smile
Moloch

Unread post by Moloch »

celexahell on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:13 pm

Area-1255 wrote:
celexahell wrote:
Area-1255 wrote:
celexahell wrote:

Awesome, I'm staying tuned. Smile

I feel so damn castrated man. This isn't right. When did your start to notice improvement?
Moloch

Unread post by Moloch »

muhamur on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:48 pm

Area-
Could it have been the icariin rather than the berberin that had beneficial effects? It sounded like you started them at the same time. I am guinea pigging icariin since I had some lying around and have never taken it consistently. Will report back as well if I notice any improvements.
Moloch

Unread post by Moloch »

Area-1255 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:22 pm

muhamur wrote:
Area-
Could it have been the icariin rather than the berberin that had beneficial effects? It sounded like you started them at the same time. I am guinea pigging icariin since I had some lying around and have never taken it consistently. Will report back as well if I notice any improvements.

They both played a role, but I added berberine first...and noticed effects after a week and a half, the effects amplified after adding the Icariin and pro histamine diet. So I know Beberine did something.
Moloch

Unread post by Moloch »

Area-1255 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:23 pm

Berberine is also a 5-HT4 antagonist Sonny.
5-HT4's are some of the most pro-contractile serotonin receptors and can definitely contribute to both ssri induced prolactin release and sexual dysfunction.
With berberine + yohimbine, and then trazodone at night...you would effectively block most serotonin subtypes, while preserving the pro sexual 5-ht2c agonism...
But as i said, berb plus icariin should be enough to do the trick.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16973340

Clinical studies with the fixed herbal combination product STW 5 (Iberogast) have indicated an efficacy comparable to metoclopramide (5-HT(3) antagonist) and cisapride (5-HT(4) agonist) in functional gastro-intestinal diseases like functional dyspepsia (FD) and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Since serotonin (5-HT(3) and 5-HT(4)) and muscarinic M(3) receptors are known to play a central role in the etiology of FD and IBS, the extracts contained in STW 5 and several of their phytochemical components were studied in vitro for binding affinities to these receptors of the intestine. STW 5 inhibited the binding of (3)H-GR113808 and (3)H-4-DAMP to 5-HT(4) and M(3) receptors, respectively, about 10 times more potently than the binding of (3)H-GR65630 to 5-HT(3) receptors. IC(50) values for STW 5 did correspond to extract dilutions of 1:1000 (M(3) binding) and 1:2000 (5-HT(4) binding). In addition, STW 5 also potently inhibited the binding to opioid receptors with an IC(50) value of 1:2000. Of the nine herbal extracts contained in STW 5, the fresh plant extract of bitter candy tuft (Iberis amara) selectively inhibited binding to M(3) receptors, while ethanolic extracts of celandine herb and chamomile flower were selective to 5-HT(4), and liquorice root to 5-HT(3) receptors. Binding affinities to human recombinant 5-HT(3), 5-HT(4) and M(3) receptors were qualitatively similar to those of the corresponding intestinal receptors. The benzylisoquinoline alkaloid berberine had significant inhibitory action on 5-HT(4) and M(3) binding, showing IC(50) values of 40 ng/ml (100 nM) and 200 ng/ml (500 nM), respectively, but is present in the extract of celandine herb only in traces, so that also for the celandine extract a cooperative effect of several phytochemical constituents can be assumed. These in vitro data indicate that 5-HT(4) (to a lesser degree 5-HT(3)), muscarinic M(3), and opioid receptors represent target sites for the treatment of FD and IBS with STW 5 (Iberogast).
Moloch

Unread post by Moloch »

IamHereToHelp on Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:45 pm

Anyway I am back after coconut oil experiment Smile . After taking one pill of zoloft 7 months ago, I am still struggling with libido. During the 7 months it was not that bad and it didn't fluctuate much it got better almost feeling like normal but past couple of weeks have been brutal zero libido, never felt like this before. As far as berberine from the medical research, it takes about two weeks to kick start. What do you think Area-1255 does berberine have any side effects on liver and kidneys? Thanks

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18585703

Berberine (5 mg/kg, i.p.) following its acute administration in mice resulted in increased levels of norepinephrine (31%), serotonin (47%) and dopamine (31%) in the whole brain. Chronic administration of berberine (5 mg/kg, i.p.) for 15 days significantly increased the levels of norepinephrine (29%), serotonin (19%) as well as dopamine (52%) but at higher dose (10 mg/kg, i.p.), there was no change in the norepinephrine (12%) levels but a significant increase in the serotonin (53%) and dopamine (31%) levels was found.
Moloch

Unread post by Moloch »

Area-1255 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:35 pm

IamHereToHelp wrote:
Anyway I am back after coconut oil experiment Smile . After taking one pill of zoloft 7 months ago, I am still struggling with libido. During the 7 months it was not that bad and it didn't fluctuate much it got better almost feeling like normal but past couple of weeks have been brutal zero libido, never felt like this before. As far as berberine from the medical research, it takes about two weeks to kick start. What do you think Area-1255 does berberine have any side effects on liver and kidneys? Thanks

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18585703

Berberine (5 mg/kg, i.p.) following its acute administration in mice resulted in increased levels of norepinephrine (31%), serotonin (47%) and dopamine (31%) in the whole brain. Chronic administration of berberine (5 mg/kg, i.p.) for 15 days significantly increased the levels of norepinephrine (29%), serotonin (19%) as well as dopamine (52%) but at higher dose (10 mg/kg, i.p.), there was no change in the norepinephrine (12%) levels but a significant increase in the serotonin (53%) and dopamine (31%) levels was found.

No, maybe with long-term use...you could take it with milk thistle if you are worried about liver function.