VITAMIN B12

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Meso

Re: VITAMIN B12

Unread post by Meso »

Sb919 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:08 pm Just ordered a methylfolate/methyl b12 supplement, and am now reading reports on people saying methyl donors permanently crashed them, as well as @meso warning about them... I've taken zinc, choline, magnesium, and a daily multivitamin and have never had any kind of negative effects. I was looking for something to help with brain fog and mood mostly, but now I'm kind of freaked out to try it.

How risky is this? They are relatively low dose 400mcg/1000mcg. When I was in the hospital they said I was slightly anemic, and gave me a "b vitamin". I asked my primary about it, and he didn't seem interested and wouldn't do any blood tests... seemed like a good idea at first. anyone else try these?
There are other forms you can use. Methyl forms are too risky for PSSD. There are people who crashed from SAM-e, methy-B12, and methylfolate.
"The Research Zone" is permanently down.
You are welcome to join my Discord research server: Click Here
Sb919

Unread post by Sb919 »

Are other forms of folate and b12 not methyl donors?

I ended up returning them, as I realized the amount of b12 in them is 47,000% daily value which is absolutely insane. I was interested in trying folate as also a possible cure for PE as well (which is creeping back as I am cutting down on THC).

As far as MTHFR, I never had the test, so I figured trying this and seeing if I felt better mentally would be a cheaper/quicker way to tell if I had some sort of deficiency/absorption problem. Will be seeing a new doctor in April, so will probably just wait to get some proper blood tests.

Thank you for the replies.
climb

Unread post by climb »

Meso wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:14 am
Sb919 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:08 pm Just ordered a methylfolate/methyl b12 supplement, and am now reading reports on people saying methyl donors permanently crashed them, as well as @meso warning about them... I've taken zinc, choline, magnesium, and a daily multivitamin and have never had any kind of negative effects. I was looking for something to help with brain fog and mood mostly, but now I'm kind of freaked out to try it.

How risky is this? They are relatively low dose 400mcg/1000mcg. When I was in the hospital they said I was slightly anemic, and gave me a "b vitamin". I asked my primary about it, and he didn't seem interested and wouldn't do any blood tests... seemed like a good idea at first. anyone else try these?
There are other forms you can use. Methyl forms are too risky for PSSD. There are people who crashed from SAM-e, methy-B12, and methylfolate.
Hi Meso / everyone,

do you mean other forms of vitamin B12 which are not methyl donors or or multi vitamins.
As far as I can see, most / if not all vitamin B12 supplements are methyl donors. How do you identify one that isn't or is it another multi vitamin that would be the alternative?

We've seen several people get improvements from multi vitamins, and someone also recommended some B Vitamins to me for addressing stomach / intestinal issues.
JP1985

Unread post by JP1985 »

climb wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:15 am

Hi Meso / everyone,

do you mean other forms of vitamin B12 which are not methyl donors or or multi vitamins.
As far as I can see, most / if not all vitamin B12 supplements are methyl donors. How do you identify one that isn't or is it another multi vitamin that would be the alternative?

We've seen several people get improvements from multi vitamins, and someone also recommended some B Vitamins to me for addressing stomach / intestinal issues.
Yo dude.. I asked him before about methyl donors and multi vits with them in.. he said they are fine as long as they aren’t mega high dose. The one I specifically asked about was the two per day one - https://bigvits.co.uk/product/life-exte ... q4QAvD_BwE

I asked about the b12 with 300mcg in it if it was safe to take and his words were “It is fine to take, 300 micrograms of methylcobalamin is a tiny amount.”

I thought it sounded like it was a lot as it says it’s 12500% but clearly not with his reply 👍
Last pill March 2019 - Citalopram for 7 years
Numbed penis and weak orgasm
Fatigue
Slightly blunted
Dizziness (this has improved a lot in the last 6 months)
climb

Unread post by climb »

JP1985 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:53 am

Hi Meso / everyone,

Yo dude.. I asked him before about methyl donors and multi vits with them in.. he said they are fine as long as they aren’t mega high dose. The one I specifically asked about was the two per day one - https://bigvits.co.uk/product/life-exte ... q4QAvD_BwE

I asked about the b12 with 300mcg in it if it was safe to take and his words were “It is fine to take, 300 micrograms of methylcobalamin is a tiny amount.”

I thought it sounded like it was a lot as it says it’s 12500% but clearly not with his reply 👍
got it, thanks a lot mate! :)
fth

Unread post by fth »

Hi! I posted a topic a few days ago about discovering I have a B12 deficiency (must've missed this one!). I think the reason B12 works could be related to the SIBO/bacterial overgrowth PSSD theory, as one of the causes of B12 deficiency is bacterial overgrowth. I'm starting injections next week. I'd love to hear updates on your progress!
► Fluoxetine & methylphenidate (03/2016 - 07/2019)
► Symptoms started somewhere in 2018
► Social phobia (formerly), OCD, ADHD
► Dexamphetamine (06/2021 - now)
🇳🇱
Sofa

Unread post by Sofa »

fth wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:23 pm Hi! I posted a topic a few days ago about discovering I have a B12 deficiency (must've missed this one!). I think the reason B12 works could be related to the SIBO/bacterial overgrowth PSSD theory, as one of the causes of B12 deficiency is bacterial overgrowth. I'm starting injections next week. I'd love to hear updates on your progress!
Hi, i also recently started taking B12 supplements because of low leves.

How has it been for you? Has it affected your PSSD?
Sofa

Unread post by Sofa »

climb wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:08 am
JP1985 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:53 am

Hi Meso / everyone,

got it, thanks a lot mate! :)
Hi, Did you take the B12-supplements? Did they effect your PSSD in any way negativly?
fth

Unread post by fth »

Sofa wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:20 am
fth wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:23 pm Hi! I posted a topic a few days ago about discovering I have a B12 deficiency (must've missed this one!). I think the reason B12 works could be related to the SIBO/bacterial overgrowth PSSD theory, as one of the causes of B12 deficiency is bacterial overgrowth. I'm starting injections next week. I'd love to hear updates on your progress!

Hello! I did start the injections on the 26th of April, so almost four weeks ago. I personally got prescribed 1000 mcg twice a week intramuscular. This for 6 weeks, and then I'll have to lower to once a week (unless this exacerbates my symptoms, then I'll go back to twice a week). I personally think I'll be on them for the rest of my life since I have gastrointestinal issues, but we'll see!

Up until now I haven't had any improvement (neither in libido nor my other symptoms like fatigue and brain fog). I'm getting my folate levels checked again next week, as B12 uses up folate as some sort of fuel, so those two need to be balanced as well. I haven't taken folate supplements yet because of the risk of neuropathy when taking too much folate with a B12 deficiency so I wanted to wait a while and take folate supplements according to my bloodwork (some people don't even need additional folate when taking B12, it really depends).

I haven't given up hope yet though. I know some stories from people I know in real life. One person was even in a wheelchair from B12 deficiency. For her it took months to notice an improvement, but as of today she's able to walk again and no longer needs a wheelchair. She was also suffering from libido problems and those have gone away as well. It can take a really long time, sometimes years.

Because my B12 was really low for my age (127 pmol/l) and because I have gastrointestinal issues I decided to go for injections as opposed to supplements, because with GI issues there's a possibility that supplements/nutrients don't get absorbed. With the injections I don't need to worry about that. Hope this helps! I will update on this forum if I start to get improvements.
► Fluoxetine & methylphenidate (03/2016 - 07/2019)
► Symptoms started somewhere in 2018
► Social phobia (formerly), OCD, ADHD
► Dexamphetamine (06/2021 - now)
🇳🇱
Sofa

Unread post by Sofa »

fth wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:08 am
Sofa wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:20 am

Hello! I did start the injections on the 26th of April, so almost four weeks ago. I personally got prescribed 1000 mcg twice a week intramuscular. This for 6 weeks, and then I'll have to lower to once a week (unless this exacerbates my symptoms, then I'll go back to twice a week). I personally think I'll be on them for the rest of my life since I have gastrointestinal issues, but we'll see!

Up until now I haven't had any improvement (neither in libido nor my other symptoms like fatigue and brain fog). I'm getting my folate levels checked again next week, as B12 uses up folate as some sort of fuel, so those two need to be balanced as well. I haven't taken folate supplements yet because of the risk of neuropathy when taking too much folate with a B12 deficiency so I wanted to wait a while and take folate supplements according to my bloodwork (some people don't even need additional folate when taking B12, it really depends).

I haven't given up hope yet though. I know some stories from people I know in real life. One person was even in a wheelchair from B12 deficiency. For her it took months to notice an improvement, but as of today she's able to walk again and no longer needs a wheelchair. She was also suffering from libido problems and those have gone away as well. It can take a really long time, sometimes years.

Because my B12 was really low for my age (127 pmol/l) and because I have gastrointestinal issues I decided to go for injections as opposed to supplements, because with GI issues there's a possibility that supplements/nutrients don't get absorbed. With the injections I don't need to worry about that. Hope this helps! I will update on this forum if I start to get improvements.
Did you Feel a worsening of symptoms? Or have they stayed the same?