"Towards improving post-SSRI sexual dysfunction by using nutriceuticals: Lessons from a case study."

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
anacleta

"Towards improving post-SSRI sexual dysfunction by using nutriceuticals: Lessons from a case study."

Unread post by anacleta »

J Sex Marital Ther. 2019 Jan 14:1-7. doi: 10.1080/0092623X.2018.1556755. [Epub ahead of print]

Towards improving post-SSRI sexual dysfunction by using nutriceuticals: Lessons from a case study.

Salvatore Calabrò R1, De Luca R1, Manuli A1, Portaro S1, Naro A1, Quattrini F2.

Author information
1 a IRCCS Centro Neurolesi "Bonino-Pulejo" , Messina , Italy .
2 b DISCAB, University of L'Aquila , L'Aquila , Italy.

Abstract
Post-selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) sexual dysfunction (PSSD) is a new clinical entity occurring after the antidepressant intake, and it is characterized by the fact that patients continue to present sexual side effects after the discontinuation of the drugs. PSSD mainly consists of hypo-anesthesia of the genital area, loss of libido, and erectile dysfunction. Although different management options have been proposed, there is no consensus on the treatment for this syndrome. Herein we report on a young man affected by PSSD who regained sexual functioning after 3-month treatment with EDOVIS, a dietary supplement containing L-citrulline and other commonly used aphrodisiacs. Clinicians should be aware about the possibility of persistent sexual side effects induced by serotoninergic antidepressants and take into considerations the use of nutraceuticals to overcome PSSD.

KEYWORDS:
L-citrulline; SSRI; dietary supplements; iatrogenic sexual dysfunction

PMID: 30640584 DOI: 10.1080/0092623X.2018.1556755

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30640584
TalkingAnt

Re: "Towards improving post-SSRI sexual dysfunction by using nutriceuticals: Lessons from a case stu

Unread post by TalkingAnt »

Full text link

They cured PSSD in a 23yr old guy with a supplement blend Edovis, which contains L-citrulline, tribulus, maca, muira puama, and folic acid. Results were seen after 4 months use, and a 1-yr followup reported no sexual dysfunction.

Many people here have reported improvements with some of those ingredients, so this could be an interesting combination to try for a long term trial.
Last edited by TalkingAnt on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cured | PSSD 2012-2020 | Log thread
Jaxx

Re: "Towards improving post-SSRI sexual dysfunction by using nutriceuticals: Lessons from a case stu

Unread post by Jaxx »

i had a window with muira puama before.
what is something to think about is that results too 4 months, most things here are tried for 2-4 weeks
future-recovery

Unread post by future-recovery »

I just read the first sentences of the full text and I wonder how they can publish an article with such nonsense
"There is no consensus for the treatment of PSSD, although different management options, including lowering SSRI dosage, [...] have been proposed"
This mistake also happened in Bala's review (which is the worst PSSD review that has ever been published, see http://www.pssdforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 439#p14814 )
When a PSSD article begins with such nonsense, one needs to seriously doubt the competence of the authors in my opinion.
German fmri study about PSSD could be possible! Criteria: http://www.pssdforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1020
Send a mail to user sulawesi: sulawesi1@web.de
Blueturtle

Unread post by Blueturtle »

TalkingAntColony wrote:Full text link

They cured PSSD in a 23yr old guy with a supplement blend Edovis, which contains L-citrulline, tribulus, maca, muira puama, and folic acid. Results were seen after 4 months use, and a 1-yr followup reported no sexual dysfunction.

Many people here have reported improvements with some of those ingredients, so this could be an interesting combination to try for a long term trial.
Hey man, thanks for posting that. Unfortunately the link isn’t working for me, does it mention what his exact symptoms were? Did it include genital anesthesia and ejcaulatory anhedonia?

Thanks
PSSD from citalopram.
Took it Winter 2012-Summer 2016
Cut cold turkey. Symptoms include genital anesthesia, ejaculatory anhedonia, low libido, Burning/tingling genital pain.
My story: http://www.pssdforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2536
TalkingAnt

Unread post by TalkingAnt »

The study says:

"Our patient suffered from loss of libido, erectile dysfunction and anejaculation."
Cured | PSSD 2012-2020 | Log thread
Blueturtle

Unread post by Blueturtle »

Thanks you!

Sounds like a fairly serious case of PSSD it’s good the guy feels better. Does it mention which SSRI did it?
PSSD from citalopram.
Took it Winter 2012-Summer 2016
Cut cold turkey. Symptoms include genital anesthesia, ejaculatory anhedonia, low libido, Burning/tingling genital pain.
My story: http://www.pssdforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2536
been_too_long

Unread post by been_too_long »

future-recovery wrote:I just read the first sentences of the full text and I wonder how they can publish an article with such nonsense
"There is no consensus for the treatment of PSSD, although different management options, including lowering SSRI dosage, [...] have been proposed"
This mistake also happened in Bala's review (which is the worst PSSD review that has ever been published, see http://www.pssdforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 439#p14814 )
When a PSSD article begins with such nonsense, one needs to seriously doubt the competence of the authors in my opinion.
as to the how.... contrary to what lot of people seem to think, anyone can toss up whatever "study" they want. Doesn't mean jack shit. Yet people will eat it up as if its "proof." Look at where it was originally published... yeah, we are talking about a reputable source in the medical circle. I mean did anyone bother to read there references???? A case study that uses a website as a reference. I really want a doctor "curing" me that's best background is "I have one patient and read up on it from a website."
Moonwife

Unread post by Moonwife »

future-recovery wrote:I just read the first sentences of the full text and I wonder how they can publish an article with such nonsense
You’re right in questioning this. A case study is just about a case of a patient who has a certain ailment or condition wherein it hasn’t been documented before. If you go back to old threads on here, I believe someone has cited multiple articles wherein case reports (which is a compilation of several case studies) was published in the previous years. Apologies that I cannot recall whoever posted those articles. Point is, those articles made mention of patients who have sexual dysfunction after being on SSRIs and which SSRIs were most notorious (if memory serves me right, lexapro was the highest).

A case study serves only to describe the patient’s case and the course of the illness. Nothing more. Truth be told, if anyone here will have their cases published by a researcher or a clinician, your case can be a case study in a journal. That is just the beginning of a research paper (as far as getting the ball rolling to find more patients with the same condition to come up with a case report).

One case of a person being ‘cured’ by X drug doesn’t necessarily equate to it is a cure for everyone. And if anyone even bothered to read the whole article, anyone who knows how to discern if the study has any credibility (or validity) will tell you that the case study in question has a lot of flaws. It listed the patient as suffering from PSSD but has anyone standardized the definition of PSSD? What are the symptoms included or what’s the bare minimum symptoms for someone to say they have PSSD? More importantly, what references? These references must be credible as well. Anyone with a background on research will tell you that there is a hierarchy when it comes to references and sources. Online sources should be journals. Not sites like WebMD as reference. No one will take the study seriously. Not in the scientific community anyway.
MDD 2010
Lexapro 10mg 2010-2011
Pristiq x2mos then cymbalta 60mg 2012
Lexapro 10mg + abilify 2013-2016
Former psychiatry resident with partner suffering from PSSD
Snake

Unread post by Snake »

This study surely doesn't look too convicing. And that EDOVIS consists only of a bunch of basic herbs and that price is sick, 30 Euro per package lol?
Finding a cure is only a matter of time! Never quit!