L-Cysteine far better than Acetyl-Cysteine?

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
enriqueiglesias

L-Cysteine far better than Acetyl-Cysteine?

Unread post by enriqueiglesias »

Sometimes after taking high doses of N-acetyl-cysteine (and other stuff), I've woken up horny and even very sensitive. These experiences have been partly responsible for me keeping to try that supplement, although it's hardly a very direct route, having in fact some dampening effects as well.

Now I've accidentally seen some supplement shop explain that NAC gets partly turned into Cysteine (not super-surprising yet) which increases extra-cellular glutamate, with an effect on mGluR2, 3 and 5.
I haven't found studies which pay this much attention in subjective terms, but merely describe it technically with focus on other things.
Like here, where the mechanism is mentioned, sounding very unexciting:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3252963/

But given that, could one maybe have a much greater effect on PSSD by taking L-Cysteine?

Edit: Since then, I've also read a study that implicates the mentioned mechanism in cell mortality (either by excitability or withdrawing gluthatione or something), so I have pretty much ignored trying it out or looking into it more. I'll post the study if I come across it. It wasn't anything shocking, mind you, just on the level of the usual neuronal stress issues.