Deviation between communities

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Broken

Deviation between communities

Unread post by Broken »

In my limited exploration of PSSD communitirs I've found three major hubs: SurvivingAntidepressants, RXisk and our humble forum. Am curious about the Yahoo! group as well, but don't have the account necessary to attain membership (also seems defunct.)

Could someone better explain how these communities theorise the cause for PSSD and how it's to be addressed? There seems to be so much variance, like how SA recommends just waiting it out as opposed to the experimental approach herein. Or how Dr. Healy suggests that c-fibres and damaged nerve endings in one's genitalia would be the culprit, which isn't considered here on the forum.
2010~2012: Prozac, Concerta, Wellbutrin (no effects)
2012~2018: Effexor with 150 mg being typical dose. Weaned off March, reinstatement in June, abrupt cessation in September.
Severe ED, less ejaculate, definitive shrinkage, lack of libido, anhedonia.
Gameclay

Re: Deviation between communities

Unread post by Gameclay »

From what I've read over on surviving antidepressants, majority of the posts there are about mental withdrawal effects and tapering advice from AD's, mood stabilizers and Benzo's. Although there are occasional posts about PSSD on those forums it doesn't seem to get too much attention. A large portion of their user base seems to be women and it has more of a "Let it heal naturally" approach to symptom management advice, so I think that's why they give the same sort of advice for PSSD.

This site seems to attract mostly younger people from what I've seen. Many here have had PSSD for a long time and are more willing to experiment.

David Healy, as far as i know, doesn't even do that much research into PSSD. It just seems like he speculates and writes articles to scare people.
Broken

Unread post by Broken »

Thank you very much for elucidating. Normally I'd want to dig through each and give a nuanced approximation so new users can get their bearings. However it's frustrating as all Hell just to sit down and write something coherent.

What I felt was interesting was how AltoStrata, the administrator of SA, claimed to have PSSD which healed (hence the oft repeated mantra, "let it heal on its own.")

I wish Dr. Healy would get an editor or someone who could better express some of his views. Even as a displaced former patient I think some of the articles could be reworked, unless I'm blind to his variation of British wit and creativity.
2012~2018: Effexor with 150 mg being typical dose. Weaned off March, reinstatement in June, abrupt cessation in September.
kpavel

Unread post by kpavel »

Is it she? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6vx8Eapo_4
Why. And how she healed if this 'naturally' feels like nothing. Looks like a stub. If someone knows prove me wrong.
Gameclay

Unread post by Gameclay »

Just want to say, if you're looking for another community, that propeciahelp.com forums is very welcoming of all people effected by post drug syndromes. They have a big survey going on over there for PFS, PSSD and PAS sufferers. It seems to be a pretty welcoming place and very active for the most part.
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

This is how I see it:

SA: Natural focused. Really caring. Definitely some cat-lady vibes. I mean that in the best way possible. Good people. Cons are less science, seem to focus on waiting for symptoms to get better, and less focus on PSSD symptoms. It's largely emotional. Their theories aren't complex. Just stuff like waiting it out and letting the body heal.

RXisk: Pro - Healy is fairly well known. I'm glad he's embraced the community Cons: Fear-based, I don't agree with the nerve theory at all, and generally negative vibes throughout. Loyal fans and long, depressive comment threads.

Yahoo!: Pro: Was a big group. Many of those people ended here. Cons: Negative, hard to use, less advanced theories. I don't even know if it's active anymore.

PaxilProgress: DEAD for years now. Maybe only caches remain. Was the old SA basically.

PSSDForum: Largely science based, most active PSSD community. Cons: LOTS of posts - I don't have the time to read them all anymore. The forum can get negative but I think overall it's the most positive PSSD community besides SA maybe.

r/PSSD: Pros: Reddit. I think a lot of people find out about PSSD on there. Cons: I'm not sold on how unorganized it is, I let just about everything stay there positive or negative.

PSSD Lab/The Research Zone: Projects by Myself and Meso, respectively. Meso's is more focused towards new research, and I have largely created mine as a knowledge base and collection zone for all of my research in the past (Genomes/Theories/Guides to doctors and treatments that have been tried) and a personal research blog. I think that's a fair summation of them. I really like what Meso has done it's very thorough.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

Gameclay wrote:Just want to say, if you're looking for another community, that propeciahelp.com forums is very welcoming of all people effected by post drug syndromes. They have a big survey going on over there for PFS, PSSD and PAS sufferers. It seems to be a pretty welcoming place and very active for the most part.
They really are amazing over at propecia help. I've actually recommended several friends against taking the drug after learning about their condition.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Broken

Unread post by Broken »

Thank you all very kindly for the responses.

Ghost, do you think your summation of the various communities could be stickied or noted somewhere on this forum?

I ask because those who would like additional resources and perspectives may appreciate the compilation rather than trying to accumulate this information on their lonesome (I wish I'd been aware of this collection when I started my journey.)
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

Broken wrote:Thank you all very kindly for the responses.

Ghost, do you think your summation of the various communities could be stickied or noted somewhere on this forum?

I ask because those who would like additional resources and perspectives may appreciate the compilation rather than trying to accumulate this information on their lonesome (I wish I'd been aware of this collection when I started my journey.)
Possibly! I'm not sure where it would go but I am open to ideas!