Acute Tryptophan Depletion Trial

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
naiverat

Acute Tryptophan Depletion Trial

Unread post by naiverat »

One way that has been identified to probe serotonin levels is through the use of Acute Tryptophan Depletion (ATD) -- a method where supplements (BCAA or gelatin) and a low-tryptophan diet are used in conjunction deplete tryptophan, thus preventing any serotonin synthesis from occurring. If one shows marked improvement in any domain(s) of PSSD, then it is likely high serotonin is causing them issues. If not, high serotonin probably is not their main issue and they should NOT be running risky trials like DXM/NALT.

For the next 1-2 weeks (depending how I feel on this), I will be taking 8 grams of BCAA/day divided into two daily doses and adhering to a low-trypt diet (mostly heavy cream, dried coconut, some macadamia nuts, and and a few fruits).

EDIT: My hormones levels (T and E2) are fairly low, and it has been hypothesized that high serotonin might be the mechanism underlying these low hormone levels. If reducing serotonin doesn't improve these issues, it's likely that other factors are hindering hormonal optimization.

Day 1 - nothing super notable. Feel a bit nauseous in the evening. Sleep was poor.

Day 2 - No improvements in sexual function thus far. Nauseous again. This time, I've determined drinking too much heavy cream at once is causing nausea. I will try to spread out my food intake a bit more. No increases in anxiety to note. Maybe slightly more depressed, but perhaps that is just because I assumed I had high serotonin and positive changes would be apparent more quickly. I'll allow more time.

I will update this throughout the week.

Stay tuned! Some people have had success with this regimen!
Fluoxetine Jan. '16 - Aug. 16'. Low libido, weak erections, CNS dysfunction, anhedonia

Windows on the following: Inositol, choline, NAC + Histidine, MSM, SJW, L-Arginine, Sildenafil, Naltrexone, boron
scripy3

Re: Acute Tryptophan Depletion Trial

Unread post by scripy3 »

Hi, how are you? How are things going?
naiverat

Unread post by naiverat »

scripy3 wrote:Hi, how are you? How are things going?
Sorry I didn't update this. The tryptophan depletion heavily impacted my sleep and the diet made me feel quite nauseous due to the amount of fat I was eating (cream, coconut, macadamias). Additionally, I became very depressed about 4 days in. At day 4-5, I noticed absolutely no sexual improvements, so I decided to end the trial early.

Conclusion: I do not believe I have high serotonin any longer.

I don't have anorgasmia/delayed ejaculation, emotional numbing, and other symptoms that are classically associated with high serotonin. It was a good probe, nonetheless.

I now need to find out why my pituitary has shit the bed.
Fluoxetine Jan. '16 - Aug. 16'. Low libido, weak erections, CNS dysfunction, anhedonia

Windows on the following: Inositol, choline, NAC + Histidine, MSM, SJW, L-Arginine, Sildenafil, Naltrexone, boron
scripy3

Unread post by scripy3 »

Thank you for update.

However why you chose this foods? Macadamias and cream is not tryptophan free. Coconut is 5ar-inhibitor.
JonasTheReceiver

Unread post by JonasTheReceiver »

I wouldn't call this ATD, although the experimentation is appreciated. BCAAs are not enough to lower tryptophan because you're still missing five other essential amino acids. Not to mention you tried to reduce tryptophan chronically, which is also an essential amino acid. Doing so would successfully would be incredibly dangerous, especially at the levels shown to induce mood changes.
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

Already posted this on the discord couple weeks ago:
BCAA for 1,5 week, 6g twice a day + l-tyrosine daily + 0.25mg Rasagiline.(been taking rasa for couple months, rest is an addition)...Significant benefits in energy and sexuality (libido, EQ...not much on PE which is a slight issue for me at random moments).
Back to baseline after couple days of discontinuation. Makes me think how much serotonin could be an issue, or at least in my case.
Markc1113

Unread post by Markc1113 »

Wanted to comment on this. The bcaa does deplete seretonin as I experienced that when I trailed it, however, it gave me severe PE over time. I took the bcaa for about a month and by the end of it I could hardly last a minute which is super abnormal for me. Just a heads up for guys trying this longer than a week or two.
Markc1113

Unread post by Markc1113 »

It went away a few weeks after stopping it
Octopus

Unread post by Octopus »

I tried the acute tryptophan depletion diet plus 3g of BCAA for 4 days. I was going to do it for a week but it was making me feel really crummy and I was getting a lot of headaches so I quit after 4 days. I didn’t see any improvement in PSSD symptoms from this trial.
bockemossen

Unread post by bockemossen »

You must take the BCAA with either l-tyrosine or l-phenylalanine, otherwise you will deplete dopamine along with serotonin which might cause a depressed mood and fatigue.

If you go with l-tyrosine, studies show that it only gets converted to dopamine if your retina is exposed to direct sunlight. It also seems to cause headaches in some people so maybe l-phenylalanine is the better choice, not sure about that though.