the condition must be renamed "post-SRI sexual dysfunction"

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
WeAreTheDead

the condition must be renamed "post-SRI sexual dysfunction"

Unread post by WeAreTheDead »

Post-SRI sexual dysfunction was originally documented by Antonei Csoka in cases of SSRI use,
and he therefore named it "post-SSRI sexual dysfunction", and that is the name that is now
used almost everywhere. But permanent sexual dysfunction of the same kind is also caused by
SNRI drugs, because the selectivity of SSRIs has nothing to do with it.
Therefore the condition must be renamed "post-SRI sexual dysfunction".
It still has the same abbreviation though- PSSD.
SRIs are not "anti-depressants"; they are anti-sexualants.
captured

Re: the condition must be renamed "post-SRI sexual dysfunction"

Unread post by captured »

I wish it was the worst problem that we've gotta take care of.
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

this is a reoccurring topic. Although the term "pssd" isnt perfect by far, the medical community created this term and deviating from it only causes confusion and fragmentation in a rare condition.
WeAreTheDead

Unread post by WeAreTheDead »

this is a reoccurring topic. Although the term "pssd" isnt perfect by far, the medical community created this term and deviating from it only causes confusion and fragmentation in a rare condition.
I had specificly stated that the abbreviation PSSD would be unchanged.
As for the fully-written-out name, it would only change by a single letter,
so the relation between the new name and the old name would be clear,
and thus no confusion would result.
What does cause confusion however, is a term about SSRIs that also applies to SNRIs.
SRIs are not "anti-depressants"; they are anti-sexualants.
magnilo

Unread post by magnilo »

its not even sure its a standalone condition: users of accutane and finasteride have similar (fundamentally identical) issues.
while the mechanics that perpetuate it remain unknown, its symptoms are clear - and they overlap.

its basically like having "blue-mushroom intoxication", "red-mushroom intoxication" "green-mushroom intoxication" for what is fundamentally just "intoxication", or like "post-football-broken ankle", "skii-caused broken ankle" etc etc

Frankly i believe aiming at gathering all these syndromes under the same umbrella would be way more successful: both in terms of, firstly, visibility. Secondly understanding it causes, and finally, hopefully, finding a cure.

While we are at high risk of being nodded at and discarded as a bunch of psychos who should tackle their traumas and see a therapist (and, in my personal opinion, not totally wrongly so: many here do have symptoms of depression or are plain weird), those who suffer the same symptoms from another cause (eg accutane, finasteride) are immune to that argument, and in my opinion more prone to sympathy and, all in all, being believed.
JohnWick4_PSSD

Unread post by JohnWick4_PSSD »

magnilo wrote:While we are at high risk of being nodded at and discarded as a bunch of psychos who should tackle their traumas and see a therapist (and, in my personal opinion, not totally wrongly so: many here do have symptoms of depression or are plain weird)
You're incredible ignorance is a great detriment to this community and frankly both very sad and disturbing to me.

The "depressed" and "weird" people on this site are all in the most terrible distress imaginable due to PSSD and the isolation that it brings... not to mention all of the uncertainties and mind games. That certainly would transcend pretty well anything else and you won't find one person on Earth that would keep their shit together under such circumstances. The fact that you can't see that is amazing to me.

What's wrong with you?!
magnilo

Unread post by magnilo »

JohnWick4_PSSD wrote:
magnilo wrote:While we are at high risk of being nodded at and discarded as a bunch of psychos who should tackle their traumas and see a therapist (and, in my personal opinion, not totally wrongly so: many here do have symptoms of depression or are plain weird)
You're incredible ignorance is a great detriment to this community and frankly both very sad and disturbing to me.

The "depressed" and "weird" people on this site are all in the most terrible distress imaginable due to PSSD and the isolation that it brings... not to mention all of the uncertainties and mind games. That certainly would transcend pretty well anything else and you won't find one person on Earth that would keep their shit together under such circumstances. The fact that you can't see that is amazing to me.

What's wrong with you?!
I've been having issues for a decade 23-33, the best years. While its never been fun, it has gotten better, i've had my defeative/depressive episodes which progressively became more controllable. I've never believed PSSD woudlve been the end of me, or the worse that could've happened: believing this is of great disrespect to many others who suffer bigger ordeals. We are the vessels of our actions, and while i love intimity, the spectrum of things you can do in life is much bigger than that.
You seem very emotional about it, i stand by my opinion and i encourage you to look into yourself with honesty. This is not to do me a favour, but to eventually find other co-morbidities that could be more easily treated.
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

WeAreTheDead wrote:
I had specificly stated that the abbreviation PSSD would be unchanged.
As for the fully-written-out name, it would only change by a single letter,
so the relation between the new name and the old name would be clear,
and thus no confusion would result.
What does cause confusion however, is a term about SSRIs that also applies to SNRIs.
I understand your suggestion, but the principle that both the term and the abbreviation isnt coming from us, but from the medical work stays valid.
Most doc would include SNRI's anyway, as many of them are acting pretty similar to an SSRI in lower dose (eg venlafaxine)