I have PFS but want to compare notes re feelings of depression and impact

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
UKContributor

I have PFS but want to compare notes re feelings of depression and impact

Unread post by UKContributor »

Hi all

I primarily have PFS (main issues being reduced sleep and very reduced libido/sensitivity). I have read this forum a fair bit in the past.

I know there are overlaps between two conditions but not the exact science. Given there are many depression sufferers on here, what I wondered if people could help with is this:

Effectively since PFS I am the same except the big things listed above (enjoy music, sport, no brain fog etc, feel happy sad) and one other thing:

When in a bad situation/very stressed I used to get quite depressed (feeling, never diagnosed - once this lasted as long as a year and was severe, but had become much less frequent). From reading about depression recently, I think this was more of a dopamine depression: I’d lose my appetite, become very demotivated, sleep a lot. In a strange way I liked it as it kind of reset and refreshed me. Now if I’m worried/upset etc I just don’t sleep.

Anyway in a strange way it seems that PFS cured me of this ‘depression’ as it basically never happens now, and I wonder why that might be...

Any ideas? (I’m trying to understand this piece of the puzzle to have more data on how I might work on my PFS)
Much appreciated if so
sovietxrobot

Re: I have PFS but want to compare notes re feelings of depression and impact

Unread post by sovietxrobot »

what causing you to be unable to sleep? anxiety?
UKContributor

Hi there thanks for the reply.

Yes things like being anxious about a situation - but more what I’m trying to say is whereas before I would feel anxious and then become very listless (at worst it used to be a struggle to even get out of bed), now I tend not to feel as down/wiped emotionally in situations. So if I’m worried about something it just goes round and round with no off switch.

I know it might read a bit as overthinking things etc but it was a very, very clear change with the onset of PFS in terms of how I would feel about and react to situations.

I would have this sort of ‘episode’ several times a year for almost a decade until two years ago (when I took Finasteride) but never again since. So it’s very noticeable to me. And whilst I’ve lost libido etc like many with PFS, others talk about feeling more depressed quite often, whereas at I no longer really get what I would have described as some kind of depression before.
sovietxrobot

Thats interesting, I haven't read anything like this. In my case, I felt like dopamine treatments helped me with depression, while serotonin treatments helped with anxiety. Serotonin has an inhibitory effect on dopamine release, so there is likely a link there, but its really guesswork at this point. The only thing I can thing of is do some experimentation and keep notes.
UKContributor

Yeah I’m trying the hypericin form of SJW soon as I read that it can raise dopamine and by stopping its uptake inhibit conversion to noradrenaline and norepinephrine (it’s low in hyperforin which I read increases serotonin too and I’m not clear I need that) - I’m hoping this may improve libido and improve the way I tend to wake up after about 5 hours sleep and not get back to sleep.

The reason I am curious about the aspect I posted on is that presumably low libido and sexual anhedonia is partly to do with low dopamine, but the depressive symptoms I described that went away seemed like that too (hence if they are gone has dopamine actually increased?).

Ive also read a lot about sympathetic vs parasympathetic nervous system and wonder if PFS has me stuck in the former (would fit inability to switch off and low libido).
sovietxrobot

I don't like SJW. Its notorious for its interaction effects. It has a myriad of pharmacological effects, so its hard to pin down whats actually helping you. Increased anxiety and decreased libido might indicate an excess of 5HT, you might benefit from a 5HT1A agonist like buspar. But you should definitely consult with a doctor.
UKContributor

Thankyou I will look at Burspar though I guess firstly I’m trying to solve libido - it’s not that PFS has increased my anxiety it’s more the way I react to uncertain, unsettling or bad situations has changed. I think the early waking is more of a general PFS effect as a lot of people have this ... it’s just that it interested me to read dopamine converts to the chemicals that cause wakefulness so if I can use SJW to block dopamine uptake I could maybe address both libido/anhedonia and this. I know it probably won’t work but it’s worth a shot!

I also thought I’d give SJW a try as there were some good reactions on Propecia Help forum (though I’ve seen the thread here too) and I don’t currently take other medication (other than the usual PFS placebos ie zinc etc!). I will start small I’m not a megadoser - I take less than half a tablet of most supplements I have.

The Propecia thread on it is below and I’ve added from post 28 on in case anyone wants to read.

https://forum.propeciahelp.com/c/therapies/29