Ginger makes me feel better. Am I the only one?

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
Tree

Re: Ginger makes me feel better. Am I the only one?

Unread post by Tree »

arahant wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:35 am
Tree wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:33 pm Be careful you'll crash and destroy your fucking life.. it's a strong 5ht1a agonist so you're getting relief from temporary 5ht1a activation but 5ht1a receptors will eventually desensitize further with chronic use. It's mind boggling how many times I have to repeat the same warnings over and over again.

(Mild pssd you may be able tolerate without crashing but you're playing with fire. I also ate about an inch of raw ginger every morning for about a week and a half until crashing/serotonin syndrome. I have debilitating symptoms now. It's just my experience though feel free to do whatever you want).
I guess I am fine; I drink ginger tea randomly once in a while.
Then you ate a pound of ginger per week and "crashed with serotonin syndrome due to 5ht1a agonist"?
If someone "doesn't crash" is "mild-pssd", nice logic...
I said chronic use.. "once in awhile" you'll be fine but still risky. Receptors don't normally desensitize with acute usage but not always. Consuming an inch of ginger root a day is not even that much but for someone with pssd it can be harmful over a period of time obviously. Pssd severity is relative to sert expression. Lower sert expression causes more 5ht1a receptor desensitization and more severe symptoms. Ginger is a 5ht1a agonist and raises serotonin so greater the sert dysfunction will increase the probability of a crash (more 5ht1a desensitization). My logic is sound, it's you who has no idea what's going on..
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

Tree wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:51 pm
Tree wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:33 pm Be careful you'll crash and destroy your fucking life.. it's a strong 5ht1a agonist so you're getting relief from temporary 5ht1a activation but 5ht1a receptors will eventually desensitize further with chronic use. It's mind boggling how many times I have to repeat the same warnings over and over again.

(Mild pssd you may be able tolerate without crashing but you're playing with fire. I also ate about an inch of raw ginger every morning for about a week and a half until crashing/serotonin syndrome. I have debilitating symptoms now. It's just my experience though feel free to do whatever you want).
Then you ate a pound of ginger per week and "crashed with serotonin syndrome due to 5ht1a agonist"?
I said chronic use.. "once in awhile" you'll be fine but still risky. Receptors don't normally desensitize with acute usage but not always. Consuming an inch of ginger root a day is not even that much but for someone with pssd it can be harmful over a period of time obviously. Pssd severity is relative to sert expression. Lower sert expression causes more 5ht1a receptor desensitization and more severe symptoms. Ginger is a 5ht1a agonist and raises serotonin so greater the sert dysfunction will increase the probability of a crash (more 5ht1a desensitization). My logic is sound, it's you who has no idea what's going on..
Yeah, "Ginger serotonin Syndrome" sounds quite logical. :?
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
pssdperson

Unread post by pssdperson »

arahant wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:17 am

If you understood how receptors work, SERT and the serotonin system maybe it would sound more logical to you
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

pssdperson wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:07 pm

If you understood how receptors work, SERT and the serotonin system maybe it would sound more logical to you
This desensitization theory is backed by nothing other than pubmed patchwork of rat experiments and crash anecdotes, just a quick search here also shows crashes from melatonin, maca, even dark chocolate and gasoline smell. Ginger has been used by Ayurveda for ages as pro sexual, and anti nausea, to help digestion. The OP posted a positive report, but there's a bias on metal support groups, there's not a single positive report that's not doomed by crash and layman theories.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Halan

Unread post by Halan »

Tree wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:25 pm Stay away from this shit.. I'll keep preaching it but can't help people with huge egos that don't listen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSSD/comments/ ... urce=share
It's not because you had a bad reaction others will have the same, buddy.
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

Halan wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:04 pm
Tree wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:25 pm Stay away from this shit.. I'll keep preaching it but can't help people with huge egos that don't listen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSSD/comments/ ... urce=share
It's not because you had a bad reaction others will have the same, buddy.
Maybe not, but by sharing our experiences we can learn more about the risks.
I think we can all agree that pssd has different effects on us but lets be constructive and accept there are these differences and focus more on understanding the why
Halan

Unread post by Halan »

Jaxx wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:16 pm Maybe not, but by sharing our experiences we can learn more about the risks.
I think we can all agree that pssd has different effects on us but lets be constructive and accept there are these differences and focus more on understanding the why
Sure, Jaxx. I agree with you.
But I don't think that guy is giving proper advice. He could tell his bad experiences without prophesying what's gonna happen to others. If people don't listen to him, does it means they have big egos? wtf?

Btw, ginger is also antimicrobial. There are theories about dysbiosis causing pssd symptoms, and ginger could be useful in treatment. The human body and its interactions are much more complicated and dynamic than we think. Thinking "ginger will crash you because it acts on 5-ht1a" is a totally flawed thought.
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

Well lets take the warning that ginger could make things worse for some seriously. At the same time, the mechanism or likelihood is up for discussion of course.
Tree

Unread post by Tree »

arahant wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:04 pm
pssdperson wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:07 pm

This desensitization theory is backed by nothing other than pubmed patchwork of rat experiments and crash anecdotes, just a quick search here also shows crashes from melatonin, maca, even dark chocolate and gasoline smell. Ginger has been used by Ayurveda for ages as pro sexual, and anti nausea, to help digestion. The OP posted a positive report, but there's a bias on metal support groups, there's not a single positive report that's not doomed by crash and layman theories.
You either believe the theory and evidence that supports it or you don't. Nobody cares about your baseless opinion. What people do care about is your disregardment of their experiences. It's proving their is a commonality we share you can't ignore. You don't believe us, that's fine just stay out of our conversations.
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

Jaxx wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:54 pm Well lets take the warning that ginger could make things worse for some seriously. At the same time, the mechanism or likelihood is up for discussion of course.
That's a legit point. However, questioning the mechanisms is mostly interpreted as "denying" someone experienced many symptoms. Just see Tee's reply above.

At no moment there's a suggestion people are not feeling terrible symptoms. But it is symptomatic of how easy they get something to blame as the culprit.
We like to find something to blame because it gives a sense of "control" and safety.
For example, It may create a mantra that we must avoid dark chocolate because of flavonoids or mustard because 5th1a agonists on Tumeric; it helps to cope with the fear of damage; this is even an evolutionary bias.
I have seen people crashing from homeopathy in real life, not on forums. All symptoms were the same of a panic attack, but of course, that was because it was a not common homeopathic branch, it was the "special" branch of "Unicist homeopathy", ☠️, all placebo "sugar pills", but "Unicist" sounds uncommon enough to blame.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)