Serotonin scandal! Opportunity for disclosure NOW!!

Topics related to activism.
Brain food

Re: Serotonin scandal! Opportunity for disclosure NOW!!

Unread post by Brain food »

temp2021 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:49 am
Flo wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:01 pm
temp2021 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:50 am I don’t know why it is a scandal. The low serotonin thing has been always presented as a hypothesis nothing more. In fact many papers in the literature and articles written about depression declare that the root cause of depression is not yet clear.
True, but I think the problem is that this is the way that the drugs are being prescribed to patients - they are still being told that these drugs balance brain chemicals that are out of balance, causing depression (a friend's partner was prescribed with this story only last month). It was a marketing ploy (just like the name 'antidepressant') but it has found its way into medical education and practice.
SSRIs have shown to help in clinical trials. The truth is many people benefited from SSRIs regardless of what causes depression and what SSRIs do. The truth is only a minor group of patients had PSSD among patients who took SSRIs. The truth is some people developed PSSD like symptoms after taking supplements like 5htp or ashwaganda. I took 5htp and had symptoms worse than what most people described in this forum. I never took an SSRI in my whole life. But instead of focusing on what is peculiar about us genetically or maybe having a pre-existing condition, let’s just only focus on SSRI and what they do to our bodies.
The story about clinical trials is more complicated. There have been clinical trials where SSRIs underperformed the placebo, but they basically just need two positive clinical trials to get a drug approved.

We’re just trying to bring attention to our conditions. It’s possible that someone in the news media might publish a story on PSSD, because this latest Serotonin study got the media and public to focus on antidepressants.
Flo

Re: Serotonin scandal! Opportunity for disclosure NOW!!

Unread post by Flo »

I've written to the journalist who covered this story for the Guardian to alert him about PSSD. My feeling is that if they've shown themselves willing to criticise the serotonin hypothesis, then they may be willing to look into other matters that aren't being explained factually when people are prescribed antidepressants.

Andrew.gregory@theguardian.com