I have to start lithium carbonate (camcolit) but I'm really worried

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Titeuf

I have to start lithium carbonate (camcolit) but I'm really worried

Unread post by Titeuf »

Here, my psychiatrist was willing to try lithium(400 mg for the moment).

She did not ask for a blood test to check the thyroid values ​​before initiating treatment nor did she ask me to see a cardiologist (by chance I had an appointment with a cardiologist and it was elsewhere he who told me that I had to see a cardiologist before starting lithium).

I'm worried and I can't decide to take it because when she prescribed it to me I asked her if we shouldn't take a blood test, she told me that we would see that when the next meeting (I believe at the end of April I have to check) because according to her I risk stopping it because of side effects.

However, I read the instructions and everywhere on the internet it is clearly indicated that the lithium level must be checked once/week for a month until the optimal therapeutic dose is obtained without exceeding the toxicity threshold.

what should I do?
pilha

Re: I have to start lithium carbonate (camcolit) but I'm really worried

Unread post by pilha »

I am taking it. My psychiatrist did the exact same thing so i guess it's safe. I took 400mg for a while. In next meeting she asked for side effects i said i was completely fine and she raised for 800mg and requested blood tests. Tests came and I am fine. I started it because some people claim recover from it so i will try. So far i see no improvements regarding PSSD but helped a lot with mood because i struggle to cope with PSSD and the docotr who prescribe me the SSRI...
Titeuf

Unread post by Titeuf »

ok that reassures me enormously thank you very much.
I think we have to wait a certain amount and 400mg is certainly not enough to reach the therapeutic dose. And it seems to me that I read the testimony of someone who saw their pssd improve at 4 months.
Maybe it's time for the lithium to put things back in the right order. I hope it succeeds for us
pilha

Unread post by pilha »

i was very lucky to find a psychiatrist in my city that is aware of this and willing to help. she is the only one of the country aware of this as far as i know. she knows everything it's possible to know about the condition and she doesn't beleive in all meds or supplements to be the solution but somehow she believes that lithium can help some people. she said she want me to take it at least 6 months to check if it has some effects
Titeuf

Unread post by Titeuf »

mine gives me a bit of gasligthing but I put her back in her place.
The other day, she told me to do therapy with a sexologist and tried hypnosis.🤣 I replied “really, let’s be a little serious please!”
I told her that I would no longer waste my time on pseudo therapies that I had already psychoanalyzed myself enough and that I was tired of throwing my money out the window to feed charlatans.
and she started laughing because she didn't believe what she was offering me.
Finally I insisted on trying either methylphenidate or lithium but I preferred lithium for the moment because the other creates insomnia and nervousness which I already experience because of the SSRIs.
where are u from?
Here Belgium 🇧🇪
pilha

Unread post by pilha »

Portugal. i tried hypnoses before I found i had PSSD. i tought somehow could be a fear or something in my mind because there was no pshysical explanation. as soon i found out about PSSD i quit it. the psychologist contacted two psychiatrists he works with and they said that "SSRI effects desappear when you stop the medication, there is no evidence something like this can happen". they don't even search for studies thats why i hate so much doctors rigth now. i warned my GP about PSSD because she prescribes a lot of escitalopram and I said "even if you think it psychological please search for what i am saying". 1.5 month later i asked her if she searched about it. "no, i have been veru busy with work"

anyway i don't think hipnosis is a pseudo therapy because subconscious actually has a huge role in the way we feel and act. like it control the way you think, for exemple you think in a negative way because you subconscious mind is programmed to think that way. it's to be used in the rigth context and does nothing if your body has a demage fom a drug...