antibiotics

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
iggy131313

antibiotics

Unread post by iggy131313 »

I have seen many accounts of people saying antibiotics made them worse, I have alsi been told this is ridiculous, but I KNOW they do....ALL antibiotics are gaba antagonists, all of them, and see in this study how Gaba antagonism increases serotonin in the RN by over 250%??

This would cause more downregulation, no dout about it, in fact someone I know had other symtpoms, they took an antibiotic, just amox, and now they have severe pssd and anhedonia....

also in this study it shows that kappa-opiod agonists decrease serotonin levels in the RN...this could be a good way of increasing 5ht1a receptors there

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15935332
Tenyears27

Re: antibiotics

Unread post by Tenyears27 »

I seen a guy write about kappa opiods or something. He seemed very smart, and convinced a bunch of people that anhedonia was from kappa opiod or something. There were like 40 pages of talking abouy it. Not sure what website
Blackout

Unread post by Blackout »

Well, so stress and antibiotic overuse are my total bye bye to any dreaming about being at least 1/9th normal again. I can account how many antibiotics and for how long I have used them during these years:
2011 (while I was on sertraline)
-A month on a fourth generation cephalosporin which I don't remember its name, due to an URI.
-A month on amoxicillin/clavulanic acid for a broken molar, failed attempt to extract it, and final extraction.

-Three days on azithromycin for an URI.
-Levofloxacin for an URI.

-Clarytrhomycyn, maybe 10-14 days.
-Amoxicillin/clavulanic acid, that because I read some study where clavulanic acid was being used to treat erectile dysfunction or so. I saw no improvements, of course.
Again levofloxacin.

-Ceftriaxone together with levofloxacin.
-At least two more times levofloxacin alone.
-Azythromycin.

-One more month on amoxicillin/clavulanic acid because of another broken molar, and again, failed extraction and subsequent infection.

I maybe even missed more courses. So recovery is out of reach for me. I'm trying to remember if my early 2013 window was hampered by antibiotics... I'm trying. Very likely. I had an URI in February, my window was in January. Damn.

My immune system is severely weakened, that's why I get so many URIs. Surprisingly I didn't get any last year, but instead the tooth infection.
iggy131313

blackout, did you not feel any worstening effects from the AB use?

what is a URI? is it another way of saying UTI?
Blackout

Unread post by Blackout »

iggy131313 wrote:blackout, did you not feel any worstening effects from the AB use?

what is a URI? is it another way of saying UTI?
URI, I guessed it meant Upper Respiratory Infection.

Regarding worsening, as I said, it is quite possible that my only window after stopping mianserin and that lasted some 2 and a half weeks in January 2013 could have been hampered by my first antibiotic of that year in February. In any case, I didn't notice, for example, any more worsening with my recent one-month amoxicillin/clavulanic acid course back in November. But I wasn't aware either that antibiotics raised serotonin to such degree, so I wasn't even afraid of taking them. That in contrast with my very risky -and very failed- experiments with trazodone, ziprasidone and quetiapine, where a single pill made me feel a whole difference in the permanent worsening of the sexual aspect of my PSSD -and stupidly believing that there would be some kind of reboot- continued taking them for a few days, except quetiapine, which with one little fraction of a pill was enough for me to understand that I was poisoning more and more myself. I took them in 2013 too, but somewhat later, around April-July.

One question I have is that I know someone who is on cymbalta most of the time and she has took several antibiotics during the past two years. If antibiotics do indeed raise serotonin, shouldn't them cause serotonin syndrome while combining them with SSRI's or SNRI's?
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

iggy131313 wrote:I have seen many accounts of people saying antibiotics made them worse, I have alsi been told this is ridiculous, but I KNOW they do....ALL antibiotics are gaba antagonists, all of them, and see in this study how Gaba antagonism increases serotonin in the RN by over 250%??

This would cause more downregulation, no dout about it, in fact someone I know had other symtpoms, they took an antibiotic, just amox, and now they have severe pssd and anhedonia....

also in this study it shows that kappa-opiod agonists decrease serotonin levels in the RN...this could be a good way of increasing 5ht1a receptors there

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15935332
Maybe, but my thought is that downregulation is normal and healthy at times. Your body downregulates with stress, but can bounce back after it subsides. We need to find what mechanism is downregulating us in PSSD, and why we are the less than 1% where it doesn't reverse after SSRI.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

because drinking increases serotonin, so does cold medicine, so does basically everything. Not every time you get more you get downregulated permanently. There is some place where we are stuck/ encoded wrong/ or in a self-perpetuating cycle of Biochemical shit-show-ery
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
iggy131313

yes, its true we up ad downregulate all the time, but remember I started looking into antibiotics because those of us with severe w/d syndrome, which we have a severe supersensitivity to serotonin (chronic upreg) ghost, you just listed the things that completely mess us up...cold medicine, drinking, antibiotics, stress lol

as I said, a guy I know who has what I have just took amoxicilian for 5 days, as soon as he took it, severe pssd and anhedonia set in, 2 years on its no better, and also, because he is so upregulated post synaptically it messed him up when stopping (when upreg happened) and also the typical 5 months after (recycling)

anyway, just an observation, I would say that those with pssd are genetically predisposed, for exaple have less autoreceptors to start with....I also belive that if you put someone on and off ssris enough times, it will happen eventually, it takes some people several on off cycles until they dowregulate past the threshold, and start symtpoms.
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

iggy131313 wrote:yes, its true we up ad downregulate all the time, but remember I started looking into antibiotics because those of us with severe w/d syndrome, which we have a severe supersensitivity to serotonin (chronic upreg) ghost, you just listed the things that completely mess us up...cold medicine, drinking, antibiotics, stress lol

as I said, a guy I know who has what I have just took amoxicilian for 5 days, as soon as he took it, severe pssd and anhedonia set in, 2 years on its no better, and also, because he is so upregulated post synaptically it messed him up when stopping (when upreg happened) and also the typical 5 months after (recycling)

anyway, just an observation, I would say that those with pssd are genetically predisposed, for exaple have less autoreceptors to start with....I also belive that if you put someone on and off ssris enough times, it will happen eventually, it takes some people several on off cycles until they dowregulate past the threshold, and start symtpoms.
I see your point, but for the overwhelming majority these things return to baseline after a few days. Is all he ever took Amoxicillian? or an SSRI too?

I think genetics and time on/off both play a role. But most people are able to recover even if they are on/off quite frequently. I'm curious why we aren't. Literally millions take these drugs. I think if anything happens with antibiotics, it would be because of our genetic susceptibility, and inability to resensitize pre-synaptically.

I've seen a lot of evidence that post-synaptic receptors don't change substantially in their sensitivity in SSRI treatment (at least compared to pre-synaptic). I don't know a ton about how an antibiotic would alter things, but I'd think pre-synaptic is what is causing a vast majority of our problems.