Understandingtheb intro: SSRI Escitalopram Nightmare

New members can only post here until they introduce themselves
Understandingtheb

Understandingtheb intro: SSRI Escitalopram Nightmare

Unread post by Understandingtheb »

Full story here: https://www.survivingantidepressants.or ... roduction/

Summary of important events:

-Escitalopram 10 mg, 2 years. Stopped jan 2023. Did not had discontinuation problems.
-During 2023, took Escitalopram for 1-2 weeks in varying doses, 2 times. Did not had discontinuation problems.
-Jan 2024, I tried taking one dose of around 2 mg of Escitalopram, for social anxiety, and stopped. After stopping I had anhedonia, depression and reduced sexual interest. Symptoms persist to this day (april 2024)
-Feb 2024, I tried taking small doses (between 0.5 and 5 mg) for some days. Symptoms momentarily improved in some occasions during those days.
-March 2024, took varying small doses (between 0.5 and 2.5 mg) for 5 days. Last dose of aprox 1 mg, changed me completely. I constantly feel like "inflammation" in my mind now. I have difficulty thinking, reasoning, and very bad memory issues. I'm having sexual issues I've never had. I feel like i'm not me anymore. I feel emotionally numb. And I'm in a constant state of a "disgusting" feeling, which makes me think I won't be able to continue much time like this.

Summary of summary

-Escitalopram 10 mg, 2 years. Stopped jan 2023. Did not had discontinuation problems.
-2024: Took some small doses (0.5-5mg), and started having severe discontinuation symptoms. This might be an example of hypersensitivity and kindling.

Both psychiatrist I've consulted, reject the idea that this small doses had any significant effect. They think it's most likely depression or anxiety, so they want to give me Escitalopram or Prozac to "therapeutic dose" for at least some months. I'm afraid that will worsen the situation.

I'm in a very difficult situation. I can hardly think. I feel like reinstating to a small dose might be the best option (thoughts?). I don't think I can continue with this symptoms for much longer. I would like to find a psychiatrist that can help me and that recognizes what SSRIs can do; I live in Mexico, so I think that is a harder challenge.

I need advice from people familiar with this topic. Had I known about the many things said on the internet about this, I wouldn't had fallen into this hell.