My theory how Ibogaine resets drug dependence

This is for hypothesis and even educated speculation.
PSSD’s_Master

My theory how Ibogaine resets drug dependence

Unread post by PSSD’s_Master »

My theory how Ibogaine resets drug dependence/tolerance

I made a theory on how Ibogaine resets maladaptive plasticity. No studies have hinted how this happens. I made this so people can understand some of these memory/plasticity concepts, because they also apply to PSSD. Learning about related concepts is sometimes the best way to learn something.

Ibogaine is known to completely reverse dependence/tolerance in individuals who have abused drugs, especially opiates. Individuals who have abused opiates for 10+ years have been completely cured after a single high dose Ibogaine trip.

High doses of Ibogaine cause an absolutely extreme memory/adaptation. It does this by; intense stimuli, it’s a very intense experience, and making several associations within this memory, which are obscure.

Ibogaine trips are fucking intense. Some people describe it like a near death experience. The more intense a stimuli is, the stronger the memory. For example; a near death experience causes a very strong memory.

Ibogaine also causes many associations within this memory, because of it’s complex pharmacodynamics. It directly interacts with so many different receptors/neurotransmitters, it’s insane. All of these associations make this memory stronger.

For example: A near death experience from a killer robot dog with a flamethrower. This robot has multiple different colours, patterns, makes a distinct sound, etc. Because of all of these different things, and the obscurity of them, this memory is now even stronger.

Unrelated associations

When a weak stimuli or memory, occurs at the exact same time as a potent stimuli, they become associated, and the weak memory becomes associated, and apart of that strong memory. There was a scientist that once said “neurons that fire together wire together”

Example; You were chewing gum during that near death experience with the robot. Now chewing gum reminds you of that incident, which induces intense negative emotions. Even the word gum triggers you.

Ibogaine causes this by the way it interacts with various receptors, transporters etc (MOR, nAChR, SERT etc), and that becomes associated with the intense ibogaine memory.

Ibogaine resets opiate dependence/tolerance by rewriting (reconsolidating) the previous memory of opiates. In order to reconsolidate a memory, it needs to be recalled. Ibogaine recalls this opiate memory by the way it interacts with mu opioid receptors (MOR). Studies are conflicting, some studies say it’s a biased partial agonist of MOR. Either way it’s very unique the way it interacts with MOR. This activity at MOR recalls opiate memory because of it’s similarities with opiates, but with a memory prediction error, because of how different this is compared to any previous opiate. This memory becomes temporarily destabilized and is now fragile and can be potentially edited or replaced.

This new opiate memory from Ibogaine becomes associated with this intense ibogaine trip, because they are concurrent. As a result this new opiate memory gets encoded in your long term memory, with the ibogaine trip, and replaces the previous memory.

If that doesn’t make sense still, It’s like the gum = ibogaine’s activity at MOR. The near death robot experience = The Ibogaine trip.

Now I’m not saying Ibogaine would help/cure PSSD. I’m just explaining this because it very likely overlaps with PSSD. PSSD would likely require a different stimuli to reverse. Neuroplasticity is input specific, your brain adapts to the stimulus/experiences you’ve had. I also have a hypothesis most people with PSSD had exceptional memories before PSSD, and often make associations (image with a word etc). I will soon post a short list of question’s here to gather more data. I need data to research PSSD.