Wellbutrin

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
magnilo

Re: Wellbutrin

Unread post by magnilo »

hi taarn, thanks for your extensive reply! okay so with libido you meant libido the desire to engage, i was asking that because id be courious about spontaneous erections and erections quality, which are the areas in which i want to improve. out of curiosity and slightly off topic, what was that cognitive function regime you did in the past 2 months?
taarn

Unread post by taarn »

magnilo wrote:hi taarn, thanks for your extensive reply! okay so with libido you meant libido the desire to engage, i was asking that because id be courious about spontaneous erections and erections quality, which are the areas in which i want to improve. out of curiosity and slightly off topic, what was that cognitive function regime you did in the past 2 months?
Hi magnilo!
I basically never have spontaneous erections. I have nigh-time and morning wood, I don't know why/how but I have erections during almost the whole night. Although my penis feels like rubber erection quality is good. I can also get an erection to visual or mechanical stimulation, even when thinking about something sex related but that's a lot harder.

I took CDP-choline and BPC-157. The BPC was especially good in this regard, it completely lifted my brain fog. I also had some sleep issues and tiredness and the peptides mod grf 1-29 and Ipamorelin turned out to be very helpful to my surprise.

Some Wellbutrin update:
The sexual benefits of bupropion has pretty much disappeared. I basically had a 2 days window last weekend and that started following a night with having some drinks. As I was thinking back I had to notice that each off my windows happened after alcohol consumption and taking some kind of dopaminergic. Probably my recent improvements wasn't just induced by the Wellbutrin, now I have to assume that alcohol's part is very important in this context.
Numby

Unread post by Numby »

@taarn
I’m sorry, I didn’t see your post in the Pramipexol thread where you asked whether I waited 4 weeks until I felt something on Wellbutrin. So to answer your question and because you said nothing had happened since the last weekend:

If Pramipexole and Wellbutrin had/have had a positive effect in that short time (from what I see you’ve only been taking it for 9 days), I wouldn’t change anything concerning dosage or other supplements and would just wait and see what happens.

About the four weeks:
For me it took about 9 days until I felt something where I was sure that it wasn’t placebo. Then there were a couple of weeks where I thought the positive effect had worn off. I became very impatient but someone on the forum said I should wait and/or try whether a higher dosage might help.

Then I increased dosage to 300mg and first nothing happened. And I think there were about four (!) weeks where I felt that I was back to PSSD baseline. But I kept taking Wellbutrin every day (same time of the day, same dosage) and after these four weeks I realized that it does have a positive and permanent effect. It’s just that not every day is the same (which is normal, at least for a female). There are days wher I’m not so much interested in sex and there are days where I am very much interested in sex. But I don’t have any problems with genital anesthesia or lubrication anymore. And I know that if I want to have sex, I can.

So, if I was in your shoes, I would keep taking Wellbutrin and pramipexol regularly for at least 4 weeks.
What is your “regimen” since March 28? Have you taken both, Wellbutrin and Pramipexol, daily and have you made any changes concerning dosage?
taarn

Unread post by taarn »

Numby82 wrote:@taarn
I’m sorry, I didn’t see your post in the Pramipexol thread where you asked whether I waited 4 weeks until I felt something on Wellbutrin. So to answer your question and because you said nothing had happened since the last weekend:

If Pramipexole and Wellbutrin had/have had a positive effect in that short time (from what I see you’ve only been taking it for 9 days), I wouldn’t change anything concerning dosage or other supplements and would just wait and see what happens.

About the four weeks:
For me it took about 9 days until I felt something where I was sure that it wasn’t placebo. Then there were a couple of weeks where I thought the positive effect had worn off. I became very impatient but someone on the forum said I should wait and/or try whether a higher dosage might help.

Then I increased dosage to 300mg and first nothing happened. And I think there were about four (!) weeks where I felt that I was back to PSSD baseline. But I kept taking Wellbutrin every day (same time of the day, same dosage) and after these four weeks I realized that it does have a positive and permanent effect. It’s just that not every day is the same (which is normal, at least for a female). There are days wher I’m not so much interested in sex and there are days where I am very much interested in sex. But I don’t have any problems with genital anesthesia or lubrication anymore. And I know that if I want to have sex, I can.

So, if I was in your shoes, I would keep taking Wellbutrin and pramipexol regularly for at least 4 weeks.
What is your “regimen” since March 28? Have you taken both, Wellbutrin and Pramipexol, daily and have you made any changes concerning dosage?
@Numby82
I'm not taking anything since last weekend (except some supplements). But in the last few day's I've been taking Wellbutrin I've left Pramipexole and upped the dosage to 300mg. I felt a bit weird but somehow I've also become closer to my old self and recovered most of my emotions. I felt a bit overstimulated and a bit of anxiety and/or nervousness. Basically there was no change since the 2 days window 2 weeks ago, I was back to my baseline.
I haven't retained anything sexually but I think I've improved emotionally.

I have the impression that Pramipexole did not make a difference sexually. My problems with anticipatory anhedonia are quite mild, I have lot more problems with the consummatory context, especially the sexual part. It's very likely the window is connected to alcohol consumption the day before, and I also start to think that the dopaminergic effects of bupropion are negligible in how it helps (at least my) PSSD. I'm more and more convinced that dopamine only has a slight role in the actual consummatory pleasure, and eventually orgasm.

I'm in the process of getting my hands on many different medications and research chemicals, and I have theories waiting for validation. Likely I will give a longer trial to bupropion but probably combined with other substances which can help. I want to understand PSSD as much as I can and if something helps I would like to know why and how it helps.
But to date bupropion is absolutely among the most useful substances I tried.

So if I undestand you correctly, the improvements in genital sensitivity/pleasure appeared around the 9-day mark, and when you upped to 300mg these pretty much disappeared for a few weeks?
Are you currently at the 150mg/day - 300mg/next day regimen?
RainebowGirl

Unread post by RainebowGirl »

Hello, everyone.

I haven't been around much, but I wanted to give a small update.

I'd say my symptoms improved to around 65-70% overall! So not too much different from before. I'm surprised to have maintained these improvements for over a month and a half since they began. I haven't taken wellbutrin again, and I'm honestly not sure what mechanism of action would cause such an improvement with only having taken it a few times. I'm just thankful I found something that worked without being too overwhelming.
And interesting improvement is that I find myself being drawn to people a bit more. I never realized how much not having much attraction could affect me.

A part of me feels like I really should try taking wellbutrin longterm. But, since I have finally had permanent improvement in the PSSD area of my life, I'm trying to focus more on coping with depression in ways that do not use anti-depressants. Maybe I'll feel differently in the future?

I hope everyone is doing well!
:?
Used Effexor, Wellbutrin from 2012 - 2015. PSSD 4Y after.
Reinstated with Wellbutrin from March 2019 - May 2019. 65% improvement that leveled out closer to 40%.
Implemented yoga and pelvic floor therapy on and off.
Now at 85%! :mrgreen:
Kk88

Unread post by Kk88 »

Amazing news RainebowGirl. Are you happy with 70% or do you feel temped to take more to get closer to 100%? Was there anything else at all you tried at the same/similar time to wellbutrin or was that the only thing? I'm still trying to find the type of wellbutrin you mentioned you took but having no luck (UK). Thank you for checking back in!
RainebowGirl

Kk88 wrote:Amazing news RainebowGirl. Are you happy with 70% or do you feel temped to take more to get closer to 100%? Was there anything else at all you tried at the same/similar time to wellbutrin or was that the only thing? I'm still trying to find the type of wellbutrin you mentioned you took but having no luck (UK). Thank you for checking back in!
Thank you! I'm actually starting to get nervous now because I don't want it to backfire and end up losing what I've gained, so I might be done for a few months while I try to work on my body in other ways, like cutting out alcohol and fast food and doing a cleanse for a month (who knows if they work, but I want to try and see if I improve).

Well, when I first found this site, it was during that incident where that individual lied about being cured. At that point, I decided to do all my research.

I went through HUNDREDS of posts, no lie, and copied down any promising compound and it's method of action (Ghost's site was a huge help, but I also learned a ton just combing through the threads all the way back to 2016). I had a document several pages long. I ranked them in order of what I think would work best for me (a female), what I was willing to try, what seemed too difficult to get/out of my price range, or simply seemed too ineffective to be worth my time. By the time I finished it, along with estimated prices, a lot of regimens were SO expensive and needed to be taken for SO long... I ended up getting overwhelmed and decided on St. John's Wort--a nice, recognizable and easy to obtain herb. Ordered before seeing a testimony that said taking too much of it actually caused sexual side effects for them! So, in fear, I returned it without using it.

Was pretty set on ordering shroom spores to start cultivating, but after looking up methods for growing, I realized that the upkeep for mushrooms would not mesh well with who I am currently living with. At this point, I desperately looked through the list for what I had on hand and the only thing I had was Wellbutrin... and I was STILL scared to take it! I read the entire reinstatement thread, but I hadn't seen much on Wellbutrin. After finding this thread and reading through Numby's experience, I decided to keep at it. If you remember, I was basically at 0% when I started it, so I figured I had nothing to lose and if it helped at least my mood, I'd be satisfied. I was COMPLETELY numb down there. I mean, if someone touched my clit, I wouldn't know because I could not feel it. Now I feel it fine, even though it's not like before. I actually feel I was very lucky that the first thing I tried resulted in improvements for me, but from what i read in the reinstatement thread, it was a viable strategy. I felt it worth trying before trying to save up for more expensive medications, because I'm not very wealthy.

Okay, the bottle says, "Bupropion HCl SR 100mg". I took the brand name Wellbutrin when I first developed PSSD, but that was in combination with Effexor. This brand is the only one I have left from my last filled script, so I started taking it.
Reinstated with Wellbutrin from March 2019 - May 2019. 65% improvement that leveled out closer to 40%.
Numby

Unread post by Numby »

@RainboweGirl It’s good to read that Wellbutrin has had such a positive effect on you. For me, the improvements concerning sensitivity of the clitoris were huge, too. I could hardly believe how extremely numb I had been for years because I had simply forgotten how it was before fluoxetine. There are so many positive memories that came back when Wellbutrin started to have an effect on my sexuality. I hope very much that you don’t lose what you’ve gained. If the positive effects are permanent for you although you are not taking Wellbutrin anymore, I would maybe try to taper, too. At the moment I’m too scared to lose everything again.

@kk88 Have you tried ordering Elontril/Bupropion from GlaxoSmithKline? That’s the one I am taking.
RainebowGirl

Numby82 wrote:@RainboweGirl It’s good to read that Wellbutrin has had such a positive effect on you. For me, the improvements concerning sensitivity of the clitoris were huge, too. I could hardly believe how extremely numb I had been for years because I had simply forgotten how it was before fluoxetine. There are so many positive memories that came back when Wellbutrin started to have an effect on my sexuality. I hope very much that you don’t lose what you’ve gained. If the positive effects are permanent for you although you are not taking Wellbutrin anymore, I would maybe try to taper, too. At the moment I’m too scared to lose everything again.

@kk88 Have you tried ordering Elontril/Bupropion from GlaxoSmithKline? That’s the one I am taking.
Yeah, tapered as best I could. The last time I took it, I was actually a lot closer to 75-80% better. Then when I tapered off, I dropped back to 65-70% and was really worried for a few days, but I've maintained there. It hasn't dropped from that point (yet?), so I'm gonna take time to see if I can get better by improving my health before I try again.
Octopus

Unread post by Octopus »

taarn wrote:Hi RainebowGirl,

What you described is exactly like my experience with Wellbutrin (bupropion). And no, it is definitely no placebo. It is somewhat common that bupropion works for a week or a few days for PSSD and even for other kind of permanent/long-term sexual dysfunction sufferers. After that it eventually wears out. Bupropion is a weak dopamine and somewhat stronger norephineprine reuptake inhibitor in humans and it also increases vesicular DA uptake through VMAT-2.
Guessing exactly which properties of bupropion cause the increase in libido is not trivial but I guess it's not just simply its DA reuptake inhibiting property. But becasue of instantly raising catecholamine levels it has an instant stimulating effect, this is not to be confused with it's antidepressant effect. For me if I go over 75mg I notice increased anxiety and alertness and above 150mg the anxiety is getting very hard to manage. For me the libido and genital sensitivity increase kicks in the next day or near the end of the first day I took it.

However it was shown that bupropion eventually desensitizes 5-HT1A autoreceptors in the DRN which leads to higher serotonin neurotransmission. (I guess it has to do something with desensitzing alpha2-adrenoreceptors) I think this is where it's pro-libido effects wear out. So to avoid this I only used it in 2-3 days cycles. It gave me ~100% sexual functioning when I was just partly destroyed by mirtazapine but after the last few pills totally killed my sexual function bupropion almost ceased to work.

You can try taking it for longer but I think it will wear out eventually. For me it was better to take it in 2-3 cycles @daily 100-150 mg. It worked best when I took daily 2 x 75mg.
So if you decide to do further experiments with it I will be very interested of your results!
(But I think there is some better stuff than bupropion)
Well shit, I didn't know that about Wellbutrin wearing out. I've been taking it for the past year and it's been working--not complete reversal of symptoms, but I guess I didn't realize how well it was working until it suddenly stopped working about 2 weeks ago. Now I'm totally numb again and have no libido. Should I quit taking it for a while and then try cycling? Any chance of that working?

When it quit working actually coincided with when I was taking Buspar for a few days (for anxiety, I had to discontinue because it was too sedating) so I kind of want to blame that. I took Buspar before though and it didn't have that effect so I don't know.