Can Bupropion cause PSSD?

General discussions. Feel free to use this like a support group also.
Angrydude00

Can Bupropion cause PSSD?

Unread post by Angrydude00 »

Hey, guys

I think I already know the answer to this, but can Bupropion cause PSSD or possibly make it worse? I recently started taking 150mgs of Bupropion XL and it dose a pretty decent job of masking PSSD symptoms but because of previous experience with Citalopram, I can't help but worry.
I know that it technically doesn't work on Serotonin directly, so I should be okay...Any experts wanna chime in? I would love to continue taking it in the meantime.
jaiho

Re: Can Bupropion cause PSSD?

Unread post by jaiho »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18708076

Bupropion downregulates 5HT1A Autoreceptor like SSRIs do.
But bupropion doesn't have sexual side effects, and increases libido. So this makes me think the SSRI induced PSSD isn't to do with 5HT1A.
fema4psyciatrists

Unread post by fema4psyciatrists »

I am pretty sure the advertising that bupropion doesn't have sexual side effects and actually increases libido is simply a clever marketing lie to get idiotic psychiatrists to then 'sell' patients bupropion to people suffering the sexual harms of SSRIs.

In fact I think the whistle-blower drug rep in court where the drug company was fined over 3 billion USD by the American justice system actually said this himself. You can see it yourself in the post drug company guilty verdict interview with the whistleblower used in court on 'natural news'.

staging dodgy trials which show 'less' sexual side effects than SSRI's but STILL sexual side effects DOES not prove that bupripion INCREASES LIBIDO OR That it does not have the sexual side effects that it does ITSELF.

not cool
RIP Ali 23 years old
RIP Kevin Goodreau 28 years old
RIP Petar 23 years old
RIP Mary Koback 22 years old
RIP David Stofkooper 23 years old
RIP SadBoy
RIP Kata Balint 28 years old
Bigmum

Unread post by Bigmum »

Treatment-emergent sexual dysfunction has been reported with virtually all of the antidepressants. The reported incidence of sexual dysfunction associated with antidepressant medication varies considerably between studies, making it difficult to estimate the exact incidents or prevalence. Rothschild6 in a review of research studies on antidepressants and sexual function concluded that 40% of people taking antidepressants will develop some form of sexual dysfunction. Studies estimate that the incidence varies from 30% of people treated with imipramine7 to 25%–73% of people treated with an SSRI,8–11 with 93% of the men and women treated with clomipramine in one study complaining of total or partial anorgasmia.12 Montjo-Gonzales et al10 reported an overall incidence of 58% in an unblinded study involving 344 clients who had a history of normal sexual function before SSRI treatments. The frequency of sexual side effects was highest for paroxetine (65%), fluvoxamine (59%), sertaline (56%) and fluoxetine (54%). In a multicenter, prospective, Spanish study involving 1022 people, Montejo et al12 reported a 59.1% overall incidence of sexual dysfunction when all antidepressants were considered as a whole. The differences between drugs are summarized in Table 1 and were as follows: incidence of sexual dysfunction with SSRIs and venlafaxine (an SNRI) were high ranging between 58% and 70% – fluoxetine (57.7%), sertaline (62.9%), fluvoxamine (62.3%), venlafaxine (67%), paroxetine (70.7%), and citalopram (72.7%). This compared with a much lower incidence for the newer 5-HT2 blockers (8% nefazodone and 24% mirtazapine). Moclobemide, a reversible MAOI, (3.9%) resulted in the lowest incidence of sexual dysfunction. When differences between men and women were compared, men reported a slightly higher frequency of sexual dysfunction than women (62% and 60%). Clayton et al,13 in an adult outpatient population (4534 women and 1763 men) receiving antidepressant monotherapy, reported rates of sexual dysfunction as follows: mirtazapine and venlafaxine extended release were associated with higher rates (36%–43%), followed by nefazodone (28%), bupropion SR (25%) and bupropion IR (22%).
Sorry for my bad (terrible) English.
jaiho

Unread post by jaiho »

Sexual dysfunction comes with both depression, and depression treatment. It's pretty much, feel like shit or keep trying medications.
I know i'm too stubborn to deal with sexual side effects, and i certainly cant live with depression off meds, so i found a happy medium on an SSRI + NRI combo.
Angrydude00

jaiho wrote:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18708076

But bupropion doesn't have sexual side effects, and increases libido. So this makes me think the SSRI induced PSSD isn't to do with 5HT1A.

Ugh...I was afraid of that. I really wish I could just take Citalopram again but I want to beat this. TMS works pretty well but it's really expensive and it wears off after like 6 months. I have been off of Citalopram for about 11 months now. If I'm not recovered by then, I will most likely cave and just take them again.
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

I think the dopaminergic properties cover that up.
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Angrydude00

Ghost wrote:

Ah, I see. So you still have sexuality while on it even though your receptors are going to shit. Guess I'll have to try something else. I've been weaning off of the Bupropion anyway.
jaiho

Unread post by jaiho »

Ghost wrote:

While the drug is active yes, but it doesn't explain why SSRIs cause PSSD and Bupropion doesn't, well after the drug has ceased.
fema4psyciatrists

Unread post by fema4psyciatrists »

less people are on bupropion, I am not sure where your assertion that post-drug sexual dysfunction doesn't happen with Bupropion comes from when Bupropion causes sexual dysfunction.

Im tired of drug company lies. Im tired of pssd.
RIP Ali 23 years old
RIP Kevin Goodreau 28 years old
RIP Petar 23 years old
RIP Mary Koback 22 years old
RIP David Stofkooper 23 years old
RIP SadBoy
RIP Kata Balint 28 years old