Buspar (Buspirone)

This is a place to post research you have done on the topic along with your conclusions.
Worried1

Re: Could Buspar cause Pssd?

Unread post by Worried1 »

Thank you for the reply. I was off for a week but just started again because of increasing anxiety. The anxiety makes it worse which leads me to believe that my symptoms are purely in my head. That along with the fact that I could find no evidence that Buspar could cause these issues. However that does not make this any less scary or these symptoms any less real.

What would the “hallmark” symptoms. Currently I have a lack of sensation and my orgasms cant really be felt all that much. I am able to get an erection although not all that strong but that could just be from me freaking out about this.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Marksanchez397

Unread post by Marksanchez397 »

Besides clovate did you take any SSRI any time in the past? What about Propecia/Finasteride (Anti-hair loss) or Accutane (Anti-acné)?
Worried1

I took lexapro years ago for a week or so. Had no effects sexually except anorgasm which subsided when I stopped. No finestride or anything that would typically cause these symptoms.
been_too_long

Unread post by been_too_long »

Worried1 wrote:Thank you for the reply. I was off for a week but just started again because of increasing anxiety. The anxiety makes it worse which leads me to believe that my symptoms are purely in my head. That along with the fact that I could find no evidence that Buspar could cause these issues. However that does not make this any less scary or these symptoms any less real.

What would the “hallmark” symptoms. Currently I have a lack of sensation and my orgasms cant really be felt all that much. I am able to get an erection although not all that strong but that could just be from me freaking out about this.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Best input can give you is to repeat... calm down. Even IF it was the buspar (doubtful) causing the issue; you were only off for a week. It would still be in your system so there is zero reason to fear it is permanent.

At this point, going over the symptoms of PSSD would do more harm than good. You already admitted suspicion that the issue could be psychosomatic. If that is the cases than putting other ideas into your head would only add to the problem.
Worried1

I think you are right however my dr now wants me to go on Paxil. I have tried ssri’s in the past and did not tolerate them well. My ability to orgasm did come back after using them though (lexapro about 2 weeks and cymbalta for a week). Still it worries me knowing what could potentially happen. She swears that PSSD is not a thing. I think this forum proves otherwise. This anxiety is crippling though so I’m actually thinking about taking a chance as crazy as that sounds.
Ghost

Unread post by Ghost »

Welcome to the forum.

This may help a bit: https://pssdlab.wordpress.com/faq/
- Medical Student & Friendly poltergeist - Lexapro Sept '14. [Hx] [PSSD Lab] [r/PSSD] [Treatment Plan] - Add "Ghost" in replies so I see it :)
Coraggio

Unread post by Coraggio »

Worried1 wrote:I think you are right however my dr now wants me to go on Paxil. I have tried ssri’s in the past and did not tolerate them well. My ability to orgasm did come back after using them though (lexapro about 2 weeks and cymbalta for a week). Still it worries me knowing what could potentially happen. She swears that PSSD is not a thing. I think this forum proves otherwise. This anxiety is crippling though so I’m actually thinking about taking a chance as crazy as that sounds.
Don't take it. You are close to a full pssd For anxiety and depression start eating ton fruits, veggies, meat,walnuts and fish. No junk food. And start running. Within two months your depression go away.Trust me
voyteck

Re: Buspar

Unread post by voyteck »

Just a word of warning. Buspirone CAUSED my PSSD (either alone or with venlafaxine and bupropion)!
I took almost all SSRI/SNRI before and didn't have that problem.
For more info see my intro.
voyteck

Unread post by voyteck »

@Worried1: Buspirone KILLED my libido too! I've been off 10 weeks. See my intro.
So far I am still waiting for natural recovery since afraid to make it worse (libido is killed, but still can get erections and ejaculate).

Please PM me if you find any solution or it resolves naturally!
umapinha

Re: Buspar 5mg, bi-daily

Unread post by umapinha »

My psychiatrist prescribed me BuSpar, just to treat PSSD. Anyone there have positive reports? I'm afraid to use it and make it worse