Buspirone (first time)

Post any data on Treatments and experimentation.
climb

Re: Buspirone (first time)

Unread post by climb »

DWF wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:53 am Hi there. My doctor has prescribed my Buspirone to see if has any affect on my PSSD. He is prescribing one 30mg tablet taken twice a day (but not every day, only on the days where I want to attempt anything sexual). But I've read elsewhere that some have been taking it daily. So don't know if I am being advised correctly. Any advice gratefully received. Many thanks
Where are you from / based?
I find it interesting that your doctor would prescribe it like that.
I took it every day for a while and I definitely wondered if it would be safe to take as a one off at a low dose to get a bit libido instead. I've heard people say they've done this but never heard of a medical professional recommending it.
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

climb wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:08 am
DWF wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:53 am Hi there. My doctor has prescribed my Buspirone to see if has any affect on my PSSD. He is prescribing one 30mg tablet taken twice a day (but not every day, only on the days where I want to attempt anything sexual). But I've read elsewhere that some have been taking it daily. So don't know if I am being advised correctly. Any advice gratefully received. Many thanks
Where are you from / based?
I find it interesting that your doctor would prescribe it like that.
I took it every day for a while and I definitely wondered if it would be safe to take as a one off at a low dose to get a bit libido instead. I've heard people say they've done this but never heard of a medical professional recommending it.
My doctor also wrote prescription "as needed", but I found I need it every day while searching for a proper dose ;).
But my exit plan is to take it "as needed" only when there are sexual plans on file. :lol:
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Sertraline (2015)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin (2016 - 2018)
Wellbutrin + Ritalin + Sertraline (3 months in 2018)
Buspirone (Feb 2019 - Today)
Ritalin + Buspirone (Nov 2019 - today)
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

arahant wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:18 pm There's was a poster here that didn't know what was an orgasm for almost a decade, following SSRI discontinuation, and it was restored taking this medication, 3x a day and increasing dosage until response.
Exactly like me.
I had my only « normal » (i.e. feeling pleasure like before) sexual experience in 18 months last January, during my buspirone trial. It was so surprising I asked the girl if she was different than previous times (she was surprised and answered no).
I had to stop this trial because it killed my sleep and I was a zombie, I should try again now that my sleep is a bit better.
And I was much more emotional too.
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
tonyareias

Unread post by tonyareias »

You can try, in past Buspirone improved my SSRI delayed ejaculation, with zero side effects. Only take 1h before sex.
WeWillOvercome

Unread post by WeWillOvercome »

Does anyone else experience extreme dizziness and perspiration about an hour or 90 minutes after taking a dose of buspirone?
Fluoxetine (Prozac) from August '16 to February '17. No sex drive, severe erectile dysfunction, pronounced anhedonia.
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

WeWillOvercome wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:20 pm Does anyone else experience extreme dizziness and perspiration about an hour or 90 minutes after taking a dose of buspirone?
Yes, it was extreme that I was unable to drive or function around the period you mentioned, I still have it occasionally, but less frequent and less severe... that's what made me divide the dose in 3x a day and increase it very slowly over months.

l also watch out it has an acute effect in reducing blood glucose which can trigger such symptoms, I also noticed some food interactions both increasing these sides (grapefruit) or decreasing it by eating slow/complex carbs before a pill.
That's basically what I learned by a lot of trial and error.

Reference of buspirone inducing hypoglycemia within the first hour:
"The concentration of blood glucose was significantly ( p <0.05) decreased after oral glucose challenge following administration of buspirone in comparison with placebo. "
Effect of buspirone on blood sugar levels in humans
https://www.ijpsonline.com/articles/eff ... umans.html
Hypoglycemia is well known for producing dizziness and excess adrenaline, which causes sweating
Last edited by arahant on Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)
Thomas

Unread post by Thomas »

WeWillOvercome wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:20 pm Does anyone else experience extreme dizziness and perspiration about an hour or 90 minutes after taking a dose of buspirone?
This is a documented side effect, you will find the probability in the documentation ;)
Escitalopram, 10mg/day, Jan-May 2019. Fluoxetine, May-Sept 2019. Mirtazapine 7,5mg/day, November 2019-January 2020. Escitalopram, 5mg/day, Feb-May 2020.
Symptoms: sexual & emotional numbness
Area1255_2021

Unread post by Area1255_2021 »

JP1985 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:53 am
tonyareias wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:32 pm 3 things to know about Buspirone (for sex):
- Is more effective on demand (when needed, like 1-2h before sex)
- Works better on women
- Can be used as SSRI add-on

So it actually works taking on demand for sex? Is it low risk taken like that?
Don't know, never tried it like that.
Jaxx

Unread post by Jaxx »

arahant wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:18 pm
Area1255_2021 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:07 pm I noticed positive effects on Anhedonia, and mild increase in libido/orgasms on it, not much else.
Come on dude, it's just your experience and not much else....but for someone with sexual anhedonia without knowing what's pleasure and orgasms for a while, that's basically a miracle. There's was a poster here that didn't know what was an orgasm for almost a decade, following SSRI discontinuation, and it was restored taking this medication, 3x a day and increasing dosage until response.
To be fair, this was also my experience, more energy and bit better orgasm. I was doing 3 times 10mg, so maybe this was too low, maybe it wasnt working for me…
arahant

Unread post by arahant »

Jaxx wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:03 am
arahant wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:18 pm
Area1255_2021 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:07 pm I noticed positive effects on Anhedonia, and mild increase in libido/orgasms on it, not much else.
Come on dude, it's just your experience and not much else....but for someone with sexual anhedonia without knowing what's pleasure and orgasms for a while, that's basically a miracle. There's was a poster here that didn't know what was an orgasm for almost a decade, following SSRI discontinuation, and it was restored taking this medication, 3x a day and increasing dosage until response.
To be fair, this was also my experience, more energy and bit better orgasm. I was doing 3 times 10mg, so maybe this was too low, maybe it wasnt working for me…
I see what you mean, maybe it was too low as this drug is approved up to 60 mg/day, or maybe not "working" according to your expectations. Our brain works in relative measurements, as it always compares with its last register. But just to put things in perspective, in the case of anorgasmia that was pretty much my baseline, having an orgasm was also a hell of an improvement. That's a bit different if there's some functioning but trying to optimize "erection quality %", "Sensation %", "libido %", to be honest, that's is down to a rabbit hole of never-ending searching for the perfect 100%... When you have nothing, anything is a lot.
Wellbutrin (2007 - 2018)